Alarm Siren & Relay Help

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Would these be ok?

I cant find a 1µf capacitor, could you recommend another?
The bridge can be the smallest one shown, the cap is not that critical.
A little smaller if necessary.
You may get away with the much smaller 2n7000 in that application instead of the IRF540
Max.

Last edited:

G4M8L3R08

Joined Dec 27, 2014
Spot on thanks, ill pick up the parts in the morning and get it all set up on a spare bit of vero board. Does it matter which way the bridge rectifier goes? iv never applied one before

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The input is not important, either ~ in , the output is, +Ve to the Gate, and -Ve to alarm supply Common (0v).
The 450 µf is overkill, anything smaller than 1µf = .5µf is ok.
Max.

G4M8L3R08

Joined Dec 27, 2014
The +ve is connected to the pin 1 on the siren which then pin 2 is connected to the drain, the gate then connects to the cap and the resistor which is connected the the ac? thats how its showing on the diagram.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I had assumed you wanted to pick a relay up again for the 12v alarm, I showed a FET instead of a relay, what signal does the alarm need? I had assumed it just needed the auxiliary 12VDC?
Max.

G4M8L3R08

Joined Dec 27, 2014
so where would I place a relay on that diagram?

I have a 14v output ac and a 12v siren and PSU for it. I would like the 14v ac to somehow close the 12v circuit and activate the siren.

I need a circuit to close the section bellow

upload_2014-12-28_22-30-0.png

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the siren just needs a contact closure or equivalent, then that is what the circuit achieves in the one I showed you.!!!
Max.

Last edited:

G4M8L3R08

Joined Dec 27, 2014
but in the diagram it doesnt show the +ve to the gate, it goes to the siren pin 1 first? the siren then connect to the drain via pin 2

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Max already has the solution but if you would rather use a relay..... Both do the same thing but what Max did uses fewer parts.
relay.jpg

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
but in the diagram it doesnt show the +ve to the gate, it goes to the siren pin 1 first? the siren then connect to the drain via pin 2
It doesn't need to go to the gate, the gate is turned on by the AC coming out of the first siren which is changed to DC by the bridge.

<ADDED> Think I see his confusion Max said "the output is, +Ve to the Gate" This is the rectified DC output of the 1st siren not the 12 volts that powers the 2nd siren.

Last edited:

G4M8L3R08

Joined Dec 27, 2014
Thank you everyone for the help, I built the circuit bellow, unfortunately it isn't working, any quick diagnosis I can do? Im not at the property with the sirens I just have the circuit with me.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Personally I would have used a FET instead of a bi-polar which draws base current from the usually higher impedance speaker source.
You also should have a BEMF diode across the coil.
Max.