AL3201 Reverb with CJMCU PCM1802 (ADC) and the CJMCU-4344 (DAC)

Mr Atom

Joined Jun 30, 2020
Hi,
I need some help here if at all possible. I'm no electrical genius, and just having some fun. My little project is just not working.

The schematic attached is using the AL3201 Reverb IC. The idea is to attach it to 2 modules, the CJMCU PCM1802 (ADC) and the CJMCU-4344 (DAC). I believe I have wired this up correctly (maybe not!?). The 2 modules work when connected to the Teensy, and I do realise this is something completely different. But in principle I would image this could/should work. Any thoughts ideas? The PCM1802 does have solderable options on its back but, I’m really not sure which ones to use. I did have to join FMT0 when using the Teensy.

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Your description is very vague. What exactly are you trying to achieve? What does the input come from and what is the output supposed to do?
Regards,
Keith

Mr Atom

Joined Jun 30, 2020
Your description is very vague. What exactly are you trying to achieve? What does the input come from and what is the output supposed to do?
Regards,
Keith
Hi Keith,

AL3201 is a Digital reverb engine. It requires DigIn/DigOut Interface. I have used a CS4270 24-Bit, 192-kHz Stereo Audio CODEC before.
This time I wanted to see if I could use 2 modules, ones you can buy (ready to go) from ebay. With a little bit of work the PCM1802(ADC) and CS4344(DAC) could be connected to the AL3201.

The AL3201 (the master) doesn't have a direct audio in nor output, so PCM1802(ADC) and CS4344(DAC) are used. There are 3 data lines : BitClk, WordClk & SysClk. The IC also requires a DigIn and DigOut. The thing is, I can't get it to work. I hope that makes a bit more sense?

Thanks,
Paul

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I think I understand now what you are trying to do :
You want to take an analog audio signal, digitize it with a PCM1802 ADC, and then put the digitized signal into the AL201 reverb chip. The digital output from it will be turned back into an analog audio signal using the CS4344 DAC.
Please correct me if I have got it wrong.
Keith

Mr Atom

Joined Jun 30, 2020
I think I understand now what you are trying to do :
You want to take an analog audio signal, digitize it with a PCM1802 ADC, and then put the digitized signal into the AL201 reverb chip. The digital output from it will be turned back into an analog audio signal using the CS4344 DAC.
Please correct me if I have got it wrong.
Keith
Hi Keith,

Yes that's correct. It seems possible!??

Thanks,
Paul

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Why did you choose that ADC and DAC? Do you have information that indicates that their interface protocols are compatible with the reverb chip? I glanced at the datasheets but it would take hours to compare the details of their interfaces. I have searched the internet but I can not find any application notes or examples for the AL3201.
If these are not directly compatible, you will have to use a microprocessor controller and write drivers to interface them.
Keith

Last edited:

Mr Atom

Joined Jun 30, 2020
Why did you choose that ADC and DAC? Do you have information that indicates that their interface protocols are compatible with the reverb chip? I glanced at the datasheets but it would take hours to compare the details of their interfaces. I have searched the internet but I can not find any application notes or examples for the AL3201.
If these are not directly compatible, you will have to use a microprocessor controller and write drivers to interface them.
Keith
Hi Keith,
I choose these to test with because, when I removed my Teensy from my bread board (which I had them successfully working with). I thought to myself, the AL3201 could almost replace the Teensy in so much as it’s in’s and output’s. My gut feeling is, it is possible and I'm missing something simple, but not sure what that could be.

Thanks for your time in taking a look.

Paul

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hi Keith,
I choose these to test with because, when I removed my Teensy from my bread board (which I had them successfully working with). I thought to myself, the AL3201 could almost replace the Teensy in so much as it’s in’s and output’s. My gut feeling is, it is possible and I'm missing something simple, but not sure what that could be.

Thanks for your time in taking a look.

Paul
It may be possible but you are going to have to invest a lot of time in studying the protocol requirements of the three items.
Good luck.
Keith