Airbus crash in French Alps

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
This is kind of a worrisome event...but is most certainly pilot error.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
An accident investigation is just that. Jumping to premature conclusions is foolish in the extreme. Any number of things can and do go wrong on airplanes, but we just don't know what they are until the evidence is examined. Calm down and wait for the results.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Which way did it deviate?

Did that look like a magnetic deviation?

Or did that look like a gravimetric deviation?

What was strange is that there was no acceleration.

I think airbus has a problem.

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
If the LHC did have that big an effect on aircraft (especially flying at over 30,000ft) then there'd be an Avoid NOTAM in place.

I was under the impression that the aircraft was in a dive that was consistent with that initiated by the pilots following a cabin depressurisation.

I'm going to wait for the initial analysis of the FDR to be published before laying fault. We only have the "facts" the media are reporting and we all know how they can misreport things.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I have been looking at all the pics I can find, but I can not see an impact crater.

I assume the large blacken area was due to fuel fire.

But there still should be an impact zone.

There was in Pennsylvania.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I have been looking at all the pics I can find, but I can not see an impact crater.

I assume the large blacken area was due to fuel fire.

But there still should be an impact zone.

There was in Pennsylvania.
They hit the side of a solid rock mountain.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Agreed, I didn't think they could survive this sort of extreme event but the boxes were clearly designed for just that. Of course they're positioned in the tail, but still...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is kind of a worrisome event...Airbus deviated from its course for no apparent reason when in the vicinity of the CERN collider (worlds strongest magnetic field.) If you are manoevering your aircraft by a compass bearing and a strong magnetic field is nearby...you're in trouble! The CERN Collider does not even have to be ON, as even the residual magnetic field would be intense!

ps: I had to remove the ICOM speakers from my boat as the large magnets contained there-in affected my compass adversely.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]
The biggest problem with this is the premise -- IF you are maneuvering your aircraft by a compass.... Virtually no aerial navigation is done by compass even if light aircraft. You use a directional gyro. For cross country navigation you use radio navaids or GPS. Large aircraft also use inertial guidance systems (don't know how prevalent that still is). The mag compass is a back up (to a back up, these days).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is kind of a worrisome event...Airbus deviated from its course for no apparent reason when in the vicinity of the CERN collider (worlds strongest magnetic field.)
Where are you getting this claim? As near as I can find, the field strength at CERN is in the 11T to 14T range. The magnets I worked with at NIST, Boulder back in the late 1980's were 12T and the magnets at MIT that we used from time to time were 27T. The record is currently in the 95T range.

Also, the magnetic fields at CERN are largely torroidal, which largely contains the magnetic field internally.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Why not? One of the most common conclusions for the cause of crashes is "controlled flight into terrain".

Have they said what the weather was like at the time?
No storms, just normal cover from what I've read.

If they 'had' or 'chose' to descend you would think they would contact the ATC or someone.

Unlawful interference, maybe.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
No storms, just normal cover from what I've read.

If they 'had' or 'chose' to descend you would think they would contact the ATC or someone.
Unlawful interference, maybe.
Contacting ATC would have been third on the list. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. In THAT order!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/world/europe/germanwings-airbus-crash.html
PARIS — As officials struggled Wednesday to explain why a jet with 150 people on board crashed in relatively clear skies, an investigator said evidence from a cockpit voice recorder indicated one pilot left the cockpit before the plane’s descent and was unable to get back in.
If true (the NYT is normally a credible source) I just don't know what to think about what happened.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since the cockpit door can only be opened from the inside, perhaps something happened to the remaining pilot (heart attack, cockpit depressurization?) that disabled him or perhaps he has suicidal intent and wanted to take everyone with him? Who knows? Let's let the investigation play out.

As for NYT being a normally credible source... well, let's not go there. :D