AI is set to bring reform changes in major industries. Will this be a disruption or promote growth?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It will both take jobs away and generate new jobs, but I guess the question is.... will more jobs be taken away or made? I don't know the answer to this, but I do hope it makes more jobs than it takes (I doubt it though)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
What if AI were tasked with generating new jobs? What if one of its first assignments were to create a world economic model that would maximize prosperity and quality of life for everyone?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What if AI were tasked with generating new jobs? What if one of its first assignments were to create a world economic model that would maximize prosperity and quality of life for everyone?
Step #1: Reduce humanity to manageable levels.
Step #2: Everyone left after the purge would live in a new world economic model (Technocracy) that would maximize prosperity and quality of life for everyone with the proper skills.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Step #1: Reduce humanity to manageable levels.
Step #2: Everyone left after the purge would live in a new world economic model (Technocracy) that would maximize prosperity and quality of life for everyone with the proper skills.
:rolleyes: I forgot to mention that there would be parameters and restrictions for the AI to work with ...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
In that case, the task reduces to predicting future demands for future products like most failed plans to generate new jobs.
Yes, but in this case there would (supposedly) be no politics involved. I know, I'm being naive, but my greatest fear is that in the not-so-far future humanity will be split into at least two classes. The governing class, and everyone else. And AI can either cement that governing class for practically all of eternity, or it can spread its benefits fairly for all to enjoy ... and while I'm at it, I'd very much like a pony for this Christmas, thank you very much ...

Morloks and Eloi ... that's an ugly vision that I just can't shake out of my mind ...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes, but in this case there would (supposedly) be no politics involved. I know, I'm being naive, but my greatest fear is that in the not-so-far future humanity will be split into at least two classes. The governing class, and everyone else. And AI can either cement that governing class for practically all of eternity, or it can spread its benefits fairly for all to enjoy ... and while I'm at it, I'd very much like a pony for this Christmas, thank you very much ...

Morloks and Eloi ... that's an ugly vision that I just can't shake out of my mind ...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Unfortunately it's much the same vision that came out of the seminal work on intelligence, "The Bell Curve". Natural variation in human intelligence always matters, but it mattered far less when our economy was based primarily on agriculture. A smart farmer was likely a better farmer, but even a low-IQ farmer could be productive and survive. Society couldn't stratify as much because even the smartest among us had to spend all their time doing tasks that didn't make use of their talents.

Now our economy and technology has advanced so that really smart people can be far more productive than just, say, a 20% better farmer. No one sees an end to that trend - only continuation of that as far as we can see. Now there are plenty of jobs that only a fraction of the population is capable of. Instead of a 20% better salary, these jobs might pay a 20X premium.

This is great for mankind as a whole, to enable smart people to create more value using their exceptional skills, but those without the skills will become increasingly marginalized.

The book sounded the alarms of this trend but offered no solution.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It will both take jobs away and generate new jobs, but I guess the question is.... will more jobs be taken away or made? I don't know the answer to this, but I do hope it makes more jobs than it takes (I doubt it though)
Why do we need jobs? Or money?

The goal in the thriving '60s was to have machinery do all the work. This would increase leisure time for humans so that we can all relax on a beach with no work to be done.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This would increase leisure time for humans so that we can all relax on a beach with no work to be done.
And leisure normally leads to self-distrucion in most people. Without a purpose (and that purpose is survival, for the majority of the population) humans tend to fill their lives with hedonism and excesses. No, I think that a sense of responsibility must first be instilled in people before giving them everything they want for nothing in return.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
There will be a decrease in manufacturing jobs, maybe an slight increase in skilled trades --- the machine repair team, and an increase in marketing and sales jobs.

So, if your skill set wasn't mentioned ... it will be a rough time.

Jordan Peterson has an interesting lecture on the IQ question.

Last edited:

barretbronte

Joined Oct 29, 2018
Why do we need jobs? Or money?

The goal in the thriving '60s was to have machinery do all the work. This would increase leisure time for humans so that we can all relax on a beach with no work to be done.
And how do you suppose we buy food? Pay mortgages? Pay for fuel so we can get to the beach? Pay for a bus ticket? Do you propose an alternative?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
And how do you suppose we buy food? Pay mortgages? Pay for fuel so we can get to the beach? Pay for a bus ticket? Do you propose an alternative?
You are trapped in current capitalist mindset. Money is an artifact, a fabrication of the ruling class to subjugate the rest of society. Does the ruling class pay for a bus ticket to get to the beach? No, they own the beach. They do no work. The end game is the ruling class owns everything and all means of production. The rest of society becomes slaves to the ruling class. Guess what? That's where we are today.

Read "Killing the Host" by Michael Hudson, economist.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You are trapped in current capitalist mindset. Money is an artifact, a fabrication of the ruling class to subjugate the rest of society. Does the ruling class pay for a bus ticket to get to the beach? No, they own the beach. They do no work. The end game is the ruling class owns everything and all means of production. The rest of society becomes slaves to the ruling class. Guess what? That's where we are today.

Read "Killing the Host" by Michael Hudson, economist.
Daddy, I want to be a capitalist when I grow up.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Lots of people will likely be out a job with no place to go. Truck, drivers, cab drivers, delivery services , garbage pickup, food services all easily automated. What do we do for those people?
Today is Friday. Less than a decade ago I would place my trash on my tree lawn Thursday afternoon and every Friday the garbage truck would come around and collect my garbage. This was a three man operation, there was the truck driver and two guys on the back of the truck. The driver advanced the truck from house to house and the remaining two men picked up the trash containers, moved them to the truck, emptied them and returned them to my tree lawn. Today things are different. A single person drives the truck and operates a mechanical arm which grabs my refuse container, lifts it up and dumps it into the truck. So this leaves me wondering what happened to the other two guys? I wonder if they had families and a need to put beanies and weenies on a dinner table?

Something I stressed to my kids was always remain ahead of the curve. You can expect to be paid by your worth to an employer. Be the person who is needed when the AI throws up. Be the indispensable one.

Ron