Again

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I was messing with a fake 32GB Sony thumby.
Actually wifey brought it, asking why it cannot play video files.

I remember years ago about the same thumby. I removed it's memory hack. But as time passed I lost the tool..I think it was a low level formatter sumthin sumthin..

At once I knew it was the same freakin' Sony thumbies . I opened it up and the flash chip was 1GB and the label says 32GB :eek:.

So I went shopping and found a tool of the sort and installed was messing with it.
It did not yet do any good but.... later when I checked my computer ...

I lost my data drive. click click and the friggin computer wants to format my data drive..

I DID IT AGAIN :mad:

Son of *&%*^$&*

Every thing went poooooof!! AGAIN.

"breath deeply..and calm down" so I went shopping again and what I have went to buy a partition recovery software . :(

{ED}
So far the software has found 3 partitions :confused:
Never knew it had so many of it...:D

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You mean you lost your hard drive and it happened more than once?
I remember you live in some pretty hot location, right? First check if your computer has appropriate cooling, disk temperature should not be higher than say 40°C. Then when you buy new disk, buy two same size but from different manufacturer and set up Software RAID 1 on you machine. That should prevent you from losing your data due to single disk failure in the future. If both die at the same time, you´re screwed anyway. (you can have even 3 or more in the raid).
Have another disk ready in case one dies, you should rebuild the raid ASAP.

Beware software raid won´t work on the booting system disk, and using hardware raid you get some perforamance boost, but:
Your board has to be capable of it
If the board dies, you will have lot of trouble finding another one that can use the raid set created by a different chipset, which is not worth the hassle.

Do I have to mention backup, backup, backup...? Anything works, even gmail can store lots of your important data...

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Rifaa,
You should check out Hiren's Boot Disk. There are a whole bunch of shareware/freeware utilities on it. You download the .zip file, and burn the ISO to disk (or a flash USB drive) using provided tools. You can then boot to a small Windows or DOS to perform recovery or data salvage, partition management, virus scanning, and loads of other stuff.

Here is the information page:
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Download page:
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
The filename to click on is in a light green box. Hiren changes his page fairly frequently.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Rifaa,
You should check out Hiren's Boot Disk. There are a whole bunch of shareware/freeware utilities on it. You download the .zip file, and burn the ISO to disk (or a flash USB drive) using provided tools. You can then boot to a small Windows or DOS to perform recovery or data salvage, partition management, virus scanning, and loads of other stuff.

Here is the information page:
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Download page:
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
The filename to click on is in a light green box. Hiren changes his page fairly frequently.
Hey ..u mentioned this before too..I remember..
Thanks

I will give it a try if this one fails. Now I got 29 partitions. ....Blimey :eek:

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
If you had downloaded the disk when I told you about it.... you might have avoided the mess. :(
lol.

I have also used a program (download and burn to ISO) called parted magic which runs off of the RAM and can be used to recover HDD data. It's a linux based program.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Your HDD is driven by some electronic circuit i.e.. controller...

Well every HDD manufacturer provide diagnostic software to check their HDD and also to recover data,so check the website for your HDD.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Have you checked your other hardwares ,because if OS is not loading that doesnt means that your HDD is broken...like in most case when RAM is corrupted it will not load any data from HDD.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I managed to really mess up my workstation big time this time. :D
The data recovery is running on a separate machine, still have 23Hrs to go.

As for the PC, I am using my standby system.
Still I do not have access to any of my data.

While removing the HDD I saw my expensive baby having bulge caps :eek:

How the heck this must have happened. So I ripped the whole system apart.
Mobo caps is OK and so are the PSU ones. Have to take apart everything. So now I am again in an upgrade mood. But this time I will have mirror raids setup for the data.
I cannot afford to waste time again on these type pf things....
3 days gone by doing no work but fighting over the bloody System.

Aaaaargh !!!

My Baby Xfi was about to go..good thing I saw it...Sigh!!