After working as a hardware engineer what are the career advancement job titles one can choose?

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Hi,
I have been working as a Hardware engineer. I do PCB layout, Schematic Design, Circuit simulation. During my annual performance my company has offered me that they can offer me any job title. I would like to know what are the option I can ask them for. I have 3 years of industry experience. Please let me know your inputs.
-
Thanks,
Ashok

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
With three years of experience Hardware Engineer sounds about right. If you ask for more responsibility, like leading a project or part of a project you might find "Project Engineer" to be a good title that leads places.

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
With three years of experience Hardware Engineer sounds about right. If you ask for more responsibility, like leading a project or part of a project you might find "Project Engineer" to be a good title that leads places.
Hello Dick cappels,
Thanks for your inputs. I would also like to know what are the non technical job titles one can pursue after working as a hardware engineer.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Just a thought
if you can have any title,
Steve Wozniak apparently had on his business card Wizard.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
These days Sr. is thrown around a lot with relatively green engineers. I agree Hardware Engineer sounds about right.

paclogic

Joined Aug 20, 2020
The titles come with years of experience :
* 0 ~ 1 years Junior Engineer or Intern Engineer (unless an advanced degree)​
* 2 ~ 5 years Engineer​
* 6 ~ 10 years Senior Engineer​
* 11 ~ 15 years Principal Engineer​
* 16 ~ 20 years Senior Principal Engineer​
* 21 ~ 25 years Chief Engineer​
* 26 ~ 30 years Fellow Engineer​
* 35+ years Supreme Engineer over ALL they survey (I wish ! ;-)​
Also these titles are only IF you stay at one company and you will have to climb back up if you leave.
Typically you will be knocked down one or two levels if you start at another company.

[over 35 years of experience]

paclogic

Joined Aug 20, 2020
There are other titles which have NOTHING to do with years of experience.
These are based upon individual Engineering Disciplines.

* Radio Frequency Engineer
* Analog Engineer
* Digital Engineer
* Power Engineer
* DSP Engineer
* FPGA Engineer
* Embedded Engineer
* Optical Engineer
* Motion Control (Robotics) Engineer
* Control Systems Engineer
* Motor Design Engineer
* EMC Engineer

The basic three sub-classes of Electrical Engineering are :

* Hardware Engineer
* Firmware Engineer
* Software Engineer

Other titles are an advancement within the hierarchy of the company Management
structure which are typically MBA degree focused:

* Project Manager
* Program Manager
* Director of Engineering
* VP of Engineering
* Chief Engineer (C-Level)

A Project Engineer is a worthless title as it implies management, but the person typically only manages him/her self and has ALL the responsibility (pronounced BLAME) and none of the authority (pronounced FALL-GUY).

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
There are other titles which have NOTHING to do with years of experience.
These are based upon individual Engineering Disciplines.

* Radio Frequency Engineer
* Analog Engineer
* Digital Engineer
* Power Engineer
* DSP Engineer
* FPGA Engineer
* Embedded Engineer
* Optical Engineer
* Motion Control (Robotics) Engineer
* Control Systems Engineer
* Motor Design Engineer
* EMC Engineer

The basic three sub-classes of Electrical Engineering are :

* Hardware Engineer
* Firmware Engineer
* Software Engineer

Other titles are an advancement within the hierarchy of the company Management
structure which are typically MBA degree focused:

* Project Manager
* Program Manager
* Director of Engineering
* VP of Engineering
* Chief Engineer (C-Level)

A Project Engineer is a worthless title as it implies management, but the person typically only manages him/her self and has ALL the responsibility (pronounced BLAME) and none of the authority (pronounced FALL-GUY).
Thank you for indetail explaination paclogic. Very helpful. Is it normal for engineers in the industry to transisiton from one field to another ? I would like to gain a complete experience of industry so I am anticipating to change from hardware engineer to firmware engineer. not sure If it would be a wise decison. Let me know your insights.

paclogic

Joined Aug 20, 2020
Thank you for indetail explaination paclogic. Very helpful. Is it normal for engineers in the industry to transisiton from one field to another ? I would like to gain a complete experience of industry so I am anticipating to change from hardware engineer to firmware engineer. not sure If it would be a wise decison. Let me know your insights.
I have worked in every industry for Electronic Product Development that includes :

* Automotive
* Transportation
* Aviation
* Commercial
* Industrial
* Marine (part of transportation)
* Locomotive (part of transportation)
* Consumer
* Medical
* Military
* Defense
* High Performance Computing
* Data Storage (SAN / NAS)
* Telecommunications
* Data Communications
* Cellular
* Entertainment (Video - TV and Motion Picture)
* Wearables (part of consumer)
* Semiconductor (part of industrial)
* Robotics (part of industrial)
* IoT / IIoT / IoE (part of industrial)

The disciplines that I have NOT worked are :
* Utility Power : City / Municipal
* Architectural / Construction
* IC Design
* IT
* Software Development

I am a 'HARDCORE' HARDWARE ENGINEER (but also perform Industrial Design and Mechanical Engineering too) !

paclogic

Joined Aug 20, 2020
Hardware, Firmware, and Software are ALL part of ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING if you have a BSEE or MSEE, not a CompSci Degree (BSCS or BACS). Many jobs today want ALL of them in some form, regardless of industry.