AEI motor direction reverse

mark walker

Joined Aug 11, 2008
I've got an old AEI (Associated Electrical Industries) single phase (240V) motor and I need to reverse the direction of the motor.

Is it as simple as reversing the AC supply polarity in the motor (L - N) or will it have to be done on the windings, it's been a while since I had to do anything like this?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Yes, all you should have to do is switch L1 and L2 to reverse the direction of the motor.:)
No, this is wrong. Be careful is not a three phase motor but a single phase one.

To reverse a single phase motor you have to disconnect the start winding internally from the point it is connected to the neutral wire and connet it to the live wire. Then disconnect the series capacitor of the starting winding from the point where it is connected to the live wire and connect it the the neutral wire.
Becareful not to damage the windings or scratch them and create a short.

I've got an old AEI (Associated Electrical Industries) single phase (240V) motor and I need to reverse the direction of the motor.

Is it as simple as reversing the AC supply polarity in the motor (L - N) or will it have to be done on the windings, it's been a while since I had to do anything like this?
MLK-3 & Mark Walker, Please accept my appologies, I had just glanced at the post and was thinking 3 phase. I promise in the future I will read the posts all the through.:(