Advise, cyclic timer

IJC

Joined Mar 9, 2010
I was looking into making a timer which has two 110 outputs. The timer would simply close one of the outputs while simultaneoursly opening the other, id like for it to have a potentiometer in order to adjust the cycling from about 2 seconds to 5 second intervals.
The idea is to have two aquarium "wave-making" pumps alternate.
I did a search but was not able to find a timer with alternating outputs that cycle about 12 times a minute.
So I guess the question is, is there a kit out there that does this? Or is there even just a schematic out there for this that I may use?
:confused:
Thanks in advance.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
110V AC?? A 555 timer driving two triac output-optical couplers,one, with current limiting resistors,from V+,anode, cathode to pin 3; other, anode to pin 3,cathode to ground. See Bill Marsden's blog on 555. Coupler to power triac involves high V?? and is beyond our coverage.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
A DPDT latching relay, connected to a 555 that outputs the latching pulse every 5 seconds should do nicely.

It would work just like a motor reversing setup. You can use a POT on the 555 to adjust the time between switches.