Advice requested for connecting transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam2014

Joined Jul 13, 2014
I've connected an Acewell 7659 digital dashboard to a kit car, but I've been having trouble with the speed interface. The car has a Variable Reluctance sensor but the dash is only compatible with Hall Effect (a square waveform which alternates between +5V and -5V: the dash registers a pulse every time the voltage crosses 2.5V).

I've connected a VR to Hall converter but as the dashboard speed connection is outputting +5V I've been advised this may blow the converter if I connect it to the output. The dash has a strong pull-up resistor so adding a resistor doesn't work.

I've attached a circuit diagram of how it's all connected (in the diagram there's a zener diode connected between the output and ground - a friend suggested this, but it didn't work: without the dash connected it gave the correct output but when the dash was connected the output hovers around 4V).

What I need to know is how to connect a transistor between the dashboard and converter so as to protect the converter. I think this is probably a pretty basic connection but I'm not too good on electronics. I'm guessing I need two or three resistors but I have no idea what ratings.

Any help very gratefully received.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
That makes no sense.

VR sensor feeds the VR-to-Hall Converter, VR-to-Hall Converter feeds the Dashboard.
The signal is going from converter to the dashboard.

You, for some unknown to me reason, saying that dashboard is sending a signal to converter.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
If you are trying to buffer one device from the other. Find out the frequency of the signal you need to pass through the buffer.

Is the signal still square wave from -5 to +5 volts?

adam2014

Joined Jul 13, 2014
VR sensor feeds the VR-to-Hall Converter, VR-to-Hall Converter feeds the Dashboard.
Correct.

The dashboard also has the facility to work with a reed switch, so the input wire reads +5V and when switched to ground registers a pulse. I don't have enough knowledge to know what happens to this +5V supply when it's connected to a normal Hall sender, but I've been told connecting it to the converter could blow it. I hope this makes a little more sense?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Yes, the signal is the Hall Effect square wave as mentioned. The frequency changes with the speed of the car.
Find out the maximum frequency. This is a design requirement.

If you want a simple buffer, I would use operational amplifier instead of transistor.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Correct.

The dashboard also has the facility to work with a reed switch, so the input wire reads +5V and when switched to ground registers a pulse. I don't have enough knowledge to know what happens to this +5V supply when it's connected to a normal Hall sender, but I've been told connecting it to the converter could blow it. I hope this makes a little more sense?
Let me get this right, and correct it me if i get it wrong. The dashboard uses the same connection to receive a signal and to send a signal?

adam2014

Joined Jul 13, 2014
Forgive me if I've used the wrong terminology: I am not an expert (to put it lightly) when it comes to electronics. There are two wires coming out of the dash which connect to a speed sensor. One negative and one positive which reads 5V. Logically the information can only flow one way, into the dash, so it must sense when the 5V signal alters?

I calculate about 140 pulses per second maximum.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Forgive me if I've used the wrong terminology: I am not an expert (to put it lightly) when it comes to electronics. There are two wires coming out of the dash which connect to a speed sensor. One negative and one positive which reads 5V. Logically the information can only flow one way, into the dash, so it must sense when the 5V signal alters?

I calculate about 140 pulses per second maximum.
Well. If information goes only one way... then you don't need the buffer. The converter sends the signal to dashboard. Dashboard receives, it does not send anything out, so there is no need to protect the converter.

Like I said earlier. What you originally wrote did not make sense. The converter sends out. The dashboard receives. Why would converter be damaged? What would damage it? Why would dashboard damage the converter when it does not send anything to converter?

About the 140 pulses/s (pps?). Do you have the time for just one pulse? How long in time is just one pulse?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.