Advice please on PC ATX power supplies that have been unused for 5 years.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Hi

I have several PC ATX branded good quality power supplies that were used for approximately 4 hours and have sat in their boxes for going on 5 years.

Is this period of inactivity likely to have caused any problems? I'm asking only because I want to sell them on ebay and don't want to end up selling duds, my 100% feedback is valuable to me.

I suppose my main concern is electrolytics drying out. Could this be a problem?

Thanks in anticipation of any replies.

Paul

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would not have any concerns using them. If you are going to sell them, at the very least, power them up and check the voltages. I would get a spare mother board or computer as a test bench and check that the PSU works.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
It's really just the electrolytics I worry about, I can't see any other component being a problem. The majority use good quality Japanese capacitors that they always like to point out.

I'll fire them up and check the voltages that's no problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
5 years for an electrolytic capacitor is not that long at all; especially when they are not in use. When they are used they get warm (as well as being heated by nearby circuits). This helps somewhat with the drying out (and the expansion / contraction). When in storage, they should be somewhat OK. Remember, there are computers from the 80s that still work using electrolytics!