Advice on making my Final Year Project (Diploma)

brightjoey

Joined Nov 12, 2009
I'm in the midst of creating my FYP proposals. Therefore I haven't really started anything yet. I'm looking for some experts thoughts on creating my project.

I'm really keen on creating a biped(2 leg robot) robot as I find that it's a project that I feel noone really use( people usually go with wheels and that's it). And to control it, I kinda wanna try using voice commands instead of traditional buttons to control. So when I say "Walk!" it will start walking, or "Stop!" and it will stop.

My budget hopefully will go between 500-1000USD.

So in conclusion :

1) it is a biped robot.
2) It uses voice command to control.

Is It too far fetch? Help is really appreciated.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Voice recognition isn't exactly easy either. Companies have spent years trying to do it and it still isn't perfect.
I've seen bipedal robots that don't require all that much complexity, but they have very big feet, and shift weight totally over each foot before moving. Typically you would need somewhere around 8 servos for a basic model.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I'm not exactly sure how voice recognition is achieved, but it would be interesting to try it from a waveform-type approach. You could input a audio waveform, a command for instance, and then use a MCU to analyze it (similar to an "intelligent" oscilloscope). By setting certain margins such as frequency, amplitude, and the overall shape, the MCU will know next time it is given a similar waveform. Of course every waveform will be different, but that's why it's important to select those margins in the first place. Certain aspects of the waveform will determine which command was given; such as the peaks of the waveform. To begin with, you might want to analyze each letter of the alphabet to understand the waveforms that each letter will administer. Then, you can combine more letters and such. You will probably have to choose unique commands that are relatively different to other commands. "Stop" and "Go" could probably be easily determined due to their different soundings and waveforms.

Just an idea.

Austin

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
if you are going to do voice recognition i strongly suggest looking into matlab/simulink/CCS software - i remember a grad student when i was a senior taking DSP doing something similar.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well, cellphones have enough processing power for voice recognition now a days.

My first 'voice dial' phones needed to be trained, and I had to record each of my contacts names..

Now, it works right off the bat. No learning at all.

I would look into the ANDROID or other open source cellphone technologies for a look at the voice recognition code.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It should do something interesting when it hears "Klaatu barada nikto".

Note: you should see the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" for the reference.

Last edited:

BlackCow

Joined May 11, 2009
If you give up on the walking thing a voice controlled Dalek would be extremely awesome. Exterminate! EXTERMIATE! (just don't actually give it any weapons :D)

Anyway voice command recognition might be possible with an MCU... perhaps you would have the MCU sample your voice and find the closest pre-sampled match in ROM to decipher the command.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there were ICs out there that could recognise voice or at least vowels or something.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Last edited:

brightjoey

Joined Nov 12, 2009
:DThanks for the words. I don't really know wat to do yet, but with some of the reference you sent me, I can sleep better. :D

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Dont be one of those guys that comes back to the forum with one week to go till the due date and you have been living off No-Doz and coffee because you slacked the time away because you think there are plenty "easy" options and unlimited help.

Get started in your spare time, and create something that you have time to improve and perfect, with time to spare.

You may have to wait weeks for some parts to be delivered from odd shipping or backorders because every senior who had the same idea around the world are all trying to order the same parts that you need in the package that you need.