Advice on buying bulk parts/supplies like resistors, caps, diodes, etc

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I have probably 10 projects I would like to build and what is holding me back is having to track down each individual part for each project. I don't mind doing this for more unique items like pots and such but for all parts it can be taxing.

My projects I want to do are things like building some audio amps (small monoblock tube amp, stereo tube amp, transistor amps, boost/buck converters, ESC's, power supplies (bench supply and others) and some others).

I bought a 1/2 watt resistor kit which I am really happy with but don't know what other sizes I should stock.

As far as mounting technology, I have not yet worked with SMD's except with removal so I guess wire/axial lead will be necessary.

Can anyone give suggestions as to what would be good to stock or buy for these projects?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have probably 10 projects I would like to build and what is holding me back is having to track down each individual part for each project. I don't mind doing this for more unique items like pots and such but for all parts it can be taxing.

My projects I want to do are things like building some audio amps (small monoblock tube amp, stereo tube amp, transistor amps, boost/buck converters, ESC's, power supplies (bench supply and others) and some others).

I bought a 1/2 watt resistor kit which I am really happy with but don't know what other sizes I should stock.

As far as mounting technology, I have not yet worked with SMD's except with removal so I guess wire/axial lead will be necessary.

Can anyone give suggestions as to what would be good to stock or buy for these projects?

In general, an E6 series for capacitors is sufficient (1 - 1.5 - 2.2- 3.3 - 4.7 - 6.8) in each decade from pF to 100uF

The same with resistors. You can go to the E12 series with resistors but that takes twice as many little cubbies or plastic bags to store the all. The off-size of 5.1 and 9.1 (or 9.09) are often useful as well. Google E12 Wikipedia to get the list.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
When you buy parts, buy in quantity 100 or larger. Eventually you'll build up a stock of parts that you use.

Regarding resistors, 1/4W are probably used more than any other wattage; that makes them less expensive and more readily available.

If you buy large quantity and want to barter for other parts, I have parts I've accumulated over the years that I trade to get parts I want. I only trade in the continental US to keep shipping costs low.

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I am wondering about buying pots. I found some used pots that are rated as ultra high quality (pics make them look really nice) and they retail for like $50-125 each, new and are rated at 500K-1M turns before failure. Sizes are 2k, 10k, 50k, 100k and 200k (some multi-turn, some single). Price really isn't an issue (compared to cheapo 2-4/$1 pots) if these are "worth it" - meaning quality pots are better in some applications. The thing is that the stock comes and goes so should I buy some when they get them in?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I am wondering about buying pots. I found some used pots that are rated as ultra high quality (pics make them look really nice) and they retail for like $50-125 each, new and are rated at 500K-1M turns before failure. Sizes are 2k, 10k, 50k, 100k and 200k (some multi-turn, some single). Price really isn't an issue (compared to cheapo 2-4/$1 pots) if these are "worth it" - meaning quality pots are better in some applications. The thing is that the stock comes and goes so should I buy some when they get them in?
It's fun to know that a 10k, 10-turn pot with 0.25% max linearity error exists and what it is capable of but, I have a drawer full of them and I have only ever used one in the 5 years I've had access to them. Now they are available from China for under $5 - with the same/similar specs as my pots. Luckily I got my pile of pots off of some scrap equipment but it still cost me my time to scrape them.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I found some used pots that are rated as ultra high quality (pics make them look really nice) and they retail for like $50-125 each, new and are rated at 500K-1M turns before failure. Sizes are 2k, 10k, 50k, 100k and 200k (some multi-turn, some single). Price really isn't an issue (compared to cheapo 2-4/$1 pots) if these are "worth it" - meaning quality pots are better in some applications. The thing is that the stock comes and goes so should I buy some when they get them in?
You're probably referring to panel mount pots. Personally I use more board mount pots and they cost less than a dollar each. They're only rated at a couple hundred turns, but that hasn't been a problem for any of my applications.