Advice on building a momentary power cut circut

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazymofo

Joined Dec 10, 2013
Gday folks,

1st post here, hope to learn lots about electronics, its something that has always interested me, but im forever confused about what does what! my level of electronics only goes as far as building kits to make rev limiters and shift lights and such, but these come with all the bits and instructions for dummies. Ive never created a circuit from scratch, and honestly find the process of it slightly un-nerving.

so with that...

Im looking to build a circuit that will cut power to the ignition coils of my motorcycle for a set period of time (approx. 65 milliseconds) when I press a momentary switch, irrespective of how long I press the switch for, the "kill" time needs to be the pre-set value.

I think I will need a micro processor and maybe a switching relay? maybe a trim pot to alter the time the kill stands for as well? but beyond that im not entirely sure where to even start!

basically im wanting to create a circuit board that I can run to the current power supply to my ignition coils. once I depress a switch, the board will activate a "kill" in the power for 65 milliseconds, thus the engine stops producing power for that time, allowing me to shift gears quicker. in effect im wating to build a "quickshifter". once the allotted time has passed, power would resume to the coils, even if I am still holding the switch down, the system would reset once I have let go of the switch, ready to do it again for the next switch.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.