Advice on a Semi Complicated project.

xphere

Joined Sep 29, 2006
I'm working on a project where i want to build a board with a AVR MCU on it and then what ever else i need to be able to connect to it via hyperterm or something and tell it to turn on a LED.

Yes im a newbie at this, what can i say, i am high. :)

Can someone tell me just a general idea or process or what chips im going to be looking at?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just buy the first one. How much could it be? Then build the second one after you have studied the first one. What could be simpler?

xphere

Joined Sep 29, 2006
Yes im a newbie at this, what can i say, i am high. :)
btw, i am not high i meant to say i aim high.

and i could have explained that better i guess.

what would i need on a board with a AVR chip on it besides power and a db9 connector on it, to be able to talk to it with out a programmer.

Can i write something on the avr to allow it to accept a connection and put it in a terminal mode where i could give it a command.

I guess i want to make a MCU console setup.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings xphere,

I would recommend you consider purchasing an stk500 ATMEL AVR starter kit. You can buy one at Digikey for $80. You will need to also buy a power supply that is between 10V and 15V at about 1 Amp. Total cost is around $100. You can visit www.atmel.com to find out more about the stk500 board.

The nice thing about the stk500 board is that it provides a lot of flexibilty and power to allow you to develop code around many of the AVR devices in the series.

Atmel provides a free software development program called AVRSTUDIO4 that you can download immediately and begin experimenting with programming in assembly language.

hgmjr