Advice Needed : MAX7219 driving 5 Led Dice

Netfrog

Joined Oct 22, 2012
Hi Folks,

I'm new to electronics and new to AllAboutCircuits. I started dabbling with Arduino a bit (3 months ago) and decided to create a project to roll and display 5 led dice. I created this project to enhance it later to create games like Yahtzee or Farkle and other similar type dice games.

However, I need to start with a display for 5 dice. I'm providing a wiring diagram for my project and would like to get some advice on it.

In essence, I'm treating each die as a column and each spot per die as a row. Therefore, I'll have 5 colunms (5 dice) and 8 rows (7 for each spot per die plus one left-over for use as an indication led).

My thought was that if a MAX7219 can drive a 8x8 led matrix, then it should be able to handle 40 leds. The LED matrix will be driven by an Arduino.

I'm hoping I created/designed the wiring diagram properly but just in case I'm throwing this out there for help/constructive criticism.

Thanks!

Netfrog

Joined Oct 22, 2012
With good results, I hope. Do you have pictures?
Hi Tracecom ... Worked like a charm! However, since this was my first try at it (and soldering), the five dice are too close to distinguished them as dice and of course my soldering skills leaves a lot to be desired. Also, I used clear bright leds which did not give the desired effect I was looking for.

Because of this, I'm going to forego showing a picture of it.

However, I am going to do another one with the proper white leds (diffused) and more spacing between the dice (group of leds) to distinguish them as dice.

Since this mini project is led based, would a posted video (YouTube) be a better option to show it working rather than a picture/photo? (A link to the video of course).

Netfrog

Netfrog

Joined Oct 22, 2012
Hi Tracecom,

Sorry for the delay. I just recorded the video from my Android phone and posted it on YouTube.

You can see it here :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyGYZJqDVMA

Let me know what you think ...Sorry about the brightness of the led display. This is my second version that I put together. Much better than my first one! I made a second video using a paper filter but I haven't uploaded that one yet.

Dave

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hi Tracecom,

Sorry for the delay. I just recorded the video from my Android phone and posted it on YouTube.

You can see it here :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyGYZJqDVMA

Let me know what you think ...Sorry about the brightness of the led display. This is my second version that I put together. Much better than my first one! I made a second video using a paper filter but I haven't uploaded that one yet.

Dave
Looks good. Is this a hobby project or do you intend to use it commercially?