advantage of soldering wires vs leaving them touch each other only?

wolfe3

Joined Jan 11, 2018
Hi

I would like to know if there is a big advantage for soldering wires. If wires only touch each other, can it cause signal problems in a circuit or any other sort of problem?
because I would like to make a test with leaving them touch each other only before soldering on some device it with microcontroller, I don't kow if it could damage the device after testing ?

Thank you

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Depends on what you mean by "just touch" each other. If they are twisted tightly together or are clamped together somehow, such as in a solderless breadboard or with alligatorr clips or grabber leads, then unless the system is particularly sensitive to noise it should be fine. But if they are truly just one happening to be in light contact with the other, then you can easily get very erratic behavior. If the signal path has any significant inductance, then other problems can also occur, some of which could damage components, but that's fairly unlikely in most cases.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hi

I would like to know if there is a big advantage for soldering wires. If wires only touch each other, can it cause signal problems in a circuit or any other sort of problem?
because I would like to make a test with leaving them touch each other only before soldering on some device it with microcontroller, I don't kow if it could damage the device after testing ?

Thank you

If your data rate is fairly low and you a have good solid connection then there is nothing wrong with wires "touching". You probably should be using a solderless breadboard to make life easier.

Last edited: