Advanced motherboard fxes.

Tim Wernette

Joined May 31, 2012
*Edit, sorry for the title misspelling!*

hi all, I'm Tim and I'm new to these forums.

I had a question, basically i was attempting to fix my friends laptop and it was completely dead. I suspected the DC jack as seems very common. unfortunately it wasn't so simple. Basically i found a loose screw inside it and I'm reasonably sure there was some sort of short. On visual inspection the motherboard is completely clean and non damaged.

I'd like to ask two questions of you experts out there.

1) how would i even attempt to fix this? This would be the next level of fix to add to my skill set. basically I've fixed the dc jacks and visibly bad caps. this is the extent of my skills.

2) I could buy a replacement board it's not to expensive but I'm worried the motherboard short may have hurt the i5 processor also. if I bought this and it didn't work because of bad processor also the expense can easily climb to something not worth it. unfortunately for me I have no mobile laptop to try to swap out the processors. So the second question i have for you guys is, what do you think the odds are the processor is fried because of a motherboard short?

Thanks for all of your time!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The processor should be fine.. If you don't see any burnt/destroyed components the troubleshooting can be more work that its worth.. Just buy a new MB and move on.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
1) how would i even attempt to fix this? This would be the next level of fix to add to my skill set. basically I've fixed the dc jacks and visibly bad caps. this is the extent of my skills.
I would agree with the previous post. Your next level of skill would be to recognize when and when not to expend time.

Tim Wernette

Joined May 31, 2012
Well, i KNOW it's a waste of time. I didn't ask that, i asked how that might/could be done. Like what kind of equipment would be necessary and how to identify broken components, just for fun/learning sake.

thank you for seconding my opinion that the cpu is probably fine. i think i will buy the mobo and go for it.

thanks.

Tim Wernette

Joined May 31, 2012
I'm sorry i should have made my questions more clear. Basically the first one was for my education and the second one was the practical one lol. thanks both for your time.