Adobe Reader X

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Ever since I downloaded Adobe Reader X (they made me) some, not all, PDFs lock up my computer. The file downloads fine, but when trying to read it, it will lock up the screen. The only way out is to unplug the computer!

Any one else have or had this problem? How can I fix it? The operating system is Windows XP (I know, thats the problem:):p)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In two PCs and a laptop all with XP SP3 it did not work AT ALL.

After browsing their forum decided to go back to what I had, ver 8.something.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@atferrari, is V 8 still available? Thats what I had before. Had to load V10 to do taxes on line and been nothing but problems since. :(

@Markd77, that works with all PDF and XP? Don't know anything about workings of computers and have always been afraid to try "freeware". Don't want to loose all my other stuff that I've saved.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
@Markd77, that works with all PDF and XP? Don't know anything about workings of computers and have always been afraid to try "freeware". Don't want to loose all my other stuff that I've saved.
Apparently it works on XP, I've only used it on Ubuntu and it works great on that.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thanks everyone for your help.

I did some reading and maybe the Adobe is working like it should? V 10 is supposed to have an "anti-sand-boxing" application built in. But I wouldn't think it would freeze the computer, just stop it from reading and give a warning.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@Bertus, thanks for the Foxit link! Works much better so far, even the downloads of PDFs seem faster. :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I'm running Win XP (SP2). Every time I try to save a .pdf from Adobe Reader X (I cannot remember which version, 10.1.2 or 10.1.3) my computer locks up.

I uninstalled Adobe Reader X and installed version 9.5.0. Everything is fine now.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I thought it was just me.:) Couldn't find a reference on the web to it. I like the Foxit, downloads are faster for some reason. And it has all the extra stuff Reader X has too.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Just an update to the Reader X problem. Went to one of the PDFs that had caused problems and downloaded it again. No problems now! Didn't lock-up the computer and was able to save it. Anyone with Windows XP and Reader X having problems should really consider changing to Foxit.