Adjustable 555 circuit

KenK

Joined Mar 30, 2009
I'm experimenting with a standard 555 low-duty-cycle oscillator using a 555 (e.g. figure 5.34 of the Art of Electronics, or here). But I want to make the pulse frequency variable, but without changing the pulse width.

To me the obvious thing to try was to replace the discharge resistor with a series of resistors connected to a selector switch, but that doesn't seem to work - the pulse frequency is much higher than one would expect from simple calculation.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the stray capacitance of the wires and the selector switch.

Question 1: Is there a way to modify this to make it work?

Question 2: What is/was the simplest way to accomplish what I was trying to do?

(To be more precise, I want something that outputs ~20 us pulses at several different frequencies ranging from 20 to 200 Hz. It doesn't have to be very accurate or stable, ~5% accuracy is perfectly acceptable.)

KenK

Joined Mar 30, 2009
Ah, thanks, I'd considered using a one-shot triggered by a timer, but hadn't realized I could just use a second 555 for this purpose.

So the first 555 now only needs to be a variable square-wave generator. What is the best way to make the frequency variable? Selector switch on the front panel connected to different capacitors?