Adding LED lights to an LED converter?

Adkit

Joined Aug 27, 2013
I bought three couples of LED lights from IKEA, they come in packs of four. Each pack has a box that you connect all four lights to called an "electronic LED converter". Now, I want to have 6 lights in one corner of the room and instead of having two converter boxes there I was wondering if it's possible to just rewire it so that all 6 lights go to one box?

The box has this text on it if it helps:
SLT6-12VLS
Electronic LED converter
Prim: 220240VAC, 50/60Hz,0.07A
Sec: DC12V, max.500mA, 0.5-6W
DC700mA, max.8.5V

And here's the link to the product if that helps:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10192107/

Will 6 lights be too much for the box meant for 4 lights is what I'm wondering?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
But the good news is that it appears that the power supply is not a "fancy" constant current driver, but rather a simple 12V DC supply. You could replace it with another 12VDC regulated supply rated to a higher current, e.g.. 1A.

You could even buy yourself a 12VDC PWM controller. This would allow you to dim the LEDs. These things are common and inexpensive.

Adkit

Joined Aug 27, 2013
But the good news is that it appears that the power supply is not a "fancy" constant current driver, but rather a simple 12V DC supply. You could replace it with another 12VDC regulated supply rated to a higher current, e.g.. 1A.

You could even buy yourself a 12VDC PWM controller. This would allow you to dim the LEDs. These things are common and inexpensive.
I'm not too good at this stuff but are you saying that if I buy one of these I could connect 6 lights to that? (I'm swedish, btw)
http://www.led-huset.com/led-transformator-12w-220-240vac-12vdc-1a/1862-0

The whole "transformer", "power supply", "controller" thing is confusing me though.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes I think so. It's a little hard to tell if that is regulated (constant voltage) 12VDC but it appears to be. I'm not sure why they call it a "LED Driver", other than "helping" the consumer find it.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That looks fine too, and is a bit clearer about providing constant 12V. I think either will be fine - your choice. You might want to go for the higher capacity if you think you might ever want to add still more lights to it.

Adkit

Joined Aug 27, 2013
One more question: are there any rules on how you can connect LED lights to each other? Do they need to be serial or parallel (barely even know what that means) or can I just solder the positives together into the positive of one singular cable and all the negatives into the negative?

Looking at the little box that comes with the lights, they're all connected together. All the negatives in one circuit and all the positives in another... is that right?