ADC - Use Mobile Phones

The_Rock

Joined Aug 16, 2012
Hello Everyone.
The title ' ADC- Use Mobile Phones ' is the title of my assignment. I need some guidelines about this title.

The assignment requires to design an electronic system, whereby the component in question is used. And then, we must simulate the system using Multisim or any other software.

My simple idea is to demonstrate the communication in mobile phones as the system. That is, the analog representation in the form of our voice, which gets transmitted into digital form in our mobile phones, and then the receiver hears our voice.

My problem is that I just don't know how to explain this principle, theoretically. I've already devised a circuit and simulated it on Multisim. Its a simple circuit, using an SAR ADC method, and a potentiometer. That's a normal thing practically. I just don't understand how to explain this.
I mean, the theoretical part behind all this, the entire communication process. Can someone provide me with a link, or any notes, or books, about this topic, so that i can have an idea about ADC in mobile phones???
HELP PLEASE! :(

The_Rock

Joined Aug 16, 2012
This should help in some notes. Thanks. But this talks particularly about the Wireless Infrastructure and the advantages of ADC as a date converter to help reduce cost etc..:(

Have you got any other links, specifically about the theory of the principle i talked about?
That is, the analog representation of our voice, which gets converted into digital form in our mobile phones, and thus being heard by the other end, by the receiver??

Please Help! Make this post known to others...i really need some theory on this.

The_Rock

Joined Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Guys.

Another question...uhmm, does the analog to digital conversion in a microphone use the exact principle as in mobile phones? Meaning i can use the same principle to explain this?
Isn't there any other complicated theoretical explanation to this,na?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't know what you think you are looking for. Converting an analog signal to a stream of digital samples at a sufficiently high sample rate to capture the essential information should allow you to reconstruct the original signal using an inverse process with a D/A converter and a low pass filter.

One of the key theorems beneath this process is the Nyquist-Shannon Sampling theorem due to Harry Nyquist and Claude Shannon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

Another key feature to understand about the process is aliasing and the use of an analog anti-alias filter. NB - there is no such thing as a digital anti-alias filter. It cannot be realized.

The_Rock

Joined Aug 16, 2012
I don't know what you think you are looking for. Converting an analog signal to a stream of digital samples at a sufficiently high sample rate to capture the essential information should allow you to reconstruct the original signal using an inverse process with a D/A converter and a low pass filter.

One of the key theorems beneath this process is the Nyquist-Shannon Sampling theorem due to Harry Nyquist and Claude Shannon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

Another key feature to understand about the process is aliasing and the use of an analog anti-alias filter. NB - there is no such thing as a digital anti-alias filter. It cannot be realized.

I am actually a 2nd year student in the Electrical & Electronics Eng course. I don't yet have a full knowledge about these A/D or D/A conversions...i've done only the basics. My title, is ADC- Use in mobile phones. SO, my friends and I thought of the simplest example possible : The Analog Conversion Of The Human Voice to Digital Through Mobile Phones . I just don't know how it works. And i've lots of theory to build on this..that's what i am looking for. I don't have too much idea about any theorems, that's what we are supposed to learn, according to me, through our assignment..but i am having difficulties.