ADC input voltage

TrevorP

Joined Dec 8, 2006
Hey,

I'm looking at using a PCM1808 ADC however something is kind of confusing me with the datasheet. The Electrical Characteristics table gives a center voltage of 0.5Vcc, and the absolute max for the analog input is from -.3V to 6.5V. This makes sense as the power supply range is only 5V to 0V. What doesn't is the recommended circuit has a 1uF capacitor in series with the analog signal. That would completely remove the .5Vcc DC offset that would be required. What am I missing here?

Datasheet:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1808.pdf

Thanks,

Trevor

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009
That ADC is optimised for audio signal processing - it has special features to remove very low frequency and dc components - the 1uF is the standard ac coupling technique it proposes.

TrevorP

Joined Dec 8, 2006
Yeah for sure. I just wanted to figure out whether or not I needed to bias my audio signal by Vcc*0.5. It would seem though that I clearly do not have to. My guess is the internal reference voltage being generated gets applied internally to the input. Which would satisfy both their recommended circuit and their absolute max. ratings.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Don't guess there is an internal reference voltage, refer to the datasheet for the requirements.

Most provide a bias, some do not. The peak voltages need to be considered, so a 3V negative going peak doesn't go below -0.3V, etc. Ensure a signal doesn't have that much swing/amplitude before entering the ADC.