AD595 chip at high temp - what happens...

meestahelectro

Joined Aug 10, 2006
I am thinking about using the AD595 chip in conjunction with a k-type thermocouple. the issue is that this will be in an area where there is some serious heat. I can't tell but what effect does heat have on this chip. what if the temp got up to 250 degrees farenheit??? unfortunately this thing sits in an engine compartment that gets very hot. any ideas...

meestahelectro

Joined Aug 10, 2006
I think that is what I would do. maybe encase the sucker i a small block of silicon... do you think that would keep the heat down at the chip. sorry I am unfamiliar with what that would do in the real world.

the temp reading I need to get is around 950 deg cel, so being off +/- 20 is not a huge deal for me... I just don't know if the chip will function.

thanks for any insight.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
The AD595 is designed to be operated in an ambient temperature from 0°C to +50°C according to the datasheet.

250°F is 121°C and this is way too hot. If it works, the readings will be inaccurate.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Insulation only slows the transfer of heat, in time it will all reach and equilibrium temperature.

You're just going to have to mount the chip elsewhere.