Actuator timer

jonnydolt

Joined Oct 23, 2015
Hi Guy's ! I need an programmable actuator timer and would like some links as to what to purchace please .the timer needs to activate the actuator every hour 24/7 365 days a week but also needs to adjustable to up to 4 hourly activation .It is to be used in an egg turning rack for incubation of chicken eggs .Some thing under $30 if possible ...Here is a link for the actuator I am considering buying many thanks in advance http://www.ebay.com/itm/272018146298?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Do you have 120Vac or 240Vac available? If you had put in your country when you registered for this web site, I wouldn't have ask!

That actuator seems to be overkill for just moving a rack of eggs. It is operated on 12Vdc. Where will you get that?

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
I assume the actuator moves as long as it has voltage applied. What happens at the end of the stroke? Does it stop by itself? Reverse? Burn? Explode?

Do you need sensors to detect the end of the stroke?

Do you just time the power without any feedback?

I am not even going to ask what it is moving and how. If you need rotary movement it seems other solutions might be better. I assume you are just replacing something which needs repair.

If all you need is a pulse to initiate the movement then that is easy.
If the pulse has to last as long as the actuator is moving and that is a constant then also easy.
Does it have to reverse each time?

You could install switches at both ends so it automatically reverses movement. A pulse starts the movement and at the end the voltage reverses and a detector stops until the next starting pulse.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I assume the actuator moves as long as it has voltage applied. What happens at the end of the stroke? Does it stop by itself? Reverse? Burn? Explode?

Do you need sensors to detect the end of the stroke?

Do you just time the power without any feedback?...
If you had followed the link in the OP's thread, you wouldn't be cluttering up this thread with unnecessary comments and questions.

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Thanks but I have no electronic experience I was wanting to buy an off the shelf unit
There are many mains timer units that you can buy off the shelf to activate a mains device for a set period (this kind of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-HOUR-2...993ea4&pid=100338&rk=2&rkt=30&sd=281559946048) but in your case you will

a) need a 12V power supply (something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vistron-C...123268?hash=item2c83e10544:g:qiYAAOSwT5tWGcNy) and

b) need to reverse the actuator drive at the end of the stroke (whether that's at the end of every stroke or just the end of the 4 hour period) as the motorised actuator is not going to return to the other end on power removal. This is where you need to outline how your mechanics is setup and what the action on the eggs should be eg constant rotation for 4 hours or just roll once and roll back after 4 hours.

Timer-easy, PSU-easy, reverse stroke etc not quite so easy.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
If you had followed the link in the OP's thread, you wouldn't be cluttering up this thread with unnecessary comments and questions.
I did. I saw an ebay sale. I did not see there the answers to my questions. If they were there and I missed them you could point them out to me in nicer ways.

Don't worry though. I won't be cluttering up no more.

jonnydolt

Joined Oct 23, 2015
240 volt Australia and I will use a 240 to 12v power supply something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Led-5050...155615?hash=item3cec0a9a5f:g:0u8AAOSwaNBUfVR- The actuator has a built in limit switch so I presumed it would stop by itself and restart and reverse momentum when a timer gives power.Every hour it will turn on push the turner up at 5.7mm/s and sit for an hour then go down at 5.7mm/s and sit for an hour then go up and repeats all day all year.It will be moving around 80kg in total .Here is a youtube of one in action but turned on manually

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
240 volt Australia and I will use a 240 to 12v power supply something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Led-5050...155615?hash=item3cec0a9a5f:g:0u8AAOSwaNBUfVR- The actuator has a built in limit switch so I presumed it would stop by itself and restart and reverse momentum when a timer gives power....
You must reverse the polarity of the 12Vdc to the actuator every 4 hours or so. The actuator will run in or out until it hits its internal limit switch(es). Once the motor stops at either limit, it draws zero current thereafter.

I have several of these actuators around here that I am using for projects that have nothing to do with eggs. ;)

It takes a DPDT relay to reverse the polarity to the actuator. That relay should have a 240VAC coil to be controlled by a AC-powered programmable timer. The input power to the relay contacts would come from your 12Vdc power supply. The relay coil will be powered for 4hours on; then 4 hours off, so must be rated for continuous duty...

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
240 volt Australia and I will use a 240 to 12v power supply something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Led-5050...155615?hash=item3cec0a9a5f:g:0u8AAOSwaNBUfVR- The actuator has a built in limit switch so I presumed it would stop by itself and restart and reverse momentum when a timer gives power.Every hour it will turn on push the turner up at 5.7mm/s and sit for an hour then go down at 5.7mm/s and sit for an hour then go up and repeats all day all year.It will be moving around 80kg in total .Here is a youtube of one in action but turned on manually
I'm pretty sure that that type of actuator needs a reverse energise to retract, it won't retract by gravity or without power.
Liked the video but that's not what I've seen for egg turning previously, what I've seen is eggs being rotated between rollers, it looks like your action will just tilt the eggs back and forth and never actually turn them over. I don't know enough about incubators but is that enough of a rotation?

jonnydolt

Joined Oct 23, 2015
They just need to go through 45 degrees the eggs stand pointy end down not on their sides
it looks like your action will just tilt the eggs back and forth and never actually turn them over. I don't know enough about incubators but is that enough of a rotation?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Last edited: