Actuator help

Slinkycyrax

Joined Sep 28, 2011
I have an actuator that I need to activate on it's own and extend and then in 60 minutes, reverse polarity on it's own and close. I would need this to continue this on a loop. And suggestions on relays that would help me on this. Thanks in advance, I'm a new at this just so you know.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Do you have any more information on this "actuator"?
Like, what voltage and current it requires?
Maximum and minimum currents?
Does it have built-in limit switches, or do you need to add them?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
How are you going to be powering this actuator?
Are you building your own power supply, or are you considering operating it from batteries?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Then it extends for 60 min., then retracts for a few seconds, then extends again?
Simple approach might be to use two 555 timer ICs & DPDT relay; first 555 free runs with period of 60 min., at reset it triggers second 555 configured as a one-shot set for retract time + a little safety time margin. Second 555 drives relay [ asuming coil current less than 200 mA ] with normally open contacts set to extend.
Might want to check post by Dimitris76 also on Projects Forum.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, I'm thinking that Slinky wants it to extend, sit there for 60 minutes, and then retract, and sit there another 60 minutes, and repeat. Is that right?

If so, a 555 clocking a 14-bit counter that controls a transistor or MOSFET driving a DPDT relay coil could do the trick pretty cheaply. The timing wouldn't be terribly accurate, but I haven't heard how accurate it needs to be.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Since there are internal limit switches in the acuator, 1 hour cycles and line power available, Slinky could use a cheap plug-in wall-timer, switching a DPDT 120VAC relay to change the polarity of the 12VDC every 60 minutes.

Ken