Access local database server wirelessly

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
Hi, like the title says I would like to create a database on a local server that can be accessed/modify wirelessly by an iPad or iPod Touch/iPhone. I'm just wondering if anyone would know where to start for this.

I don't know much about servers, but I am assuming that this basically would need a central desktop computer running some MS Server OS, with MS SQL Server running the database. A router connected to the computer to create a wireless WLAN network. The mobile devices join the network and through an application will be able to modify/access database information.

Is this basically it, or am I missing some key steps?

Thanks!

lukasoft

Joined May 23, 2011
That sounds about right to me. What type of software will be on the phone to access/modify the database? Or is that what you're writing?

You have to set up the SQL server to accept IP connections and use SQL authentication instead of trusted (windows) connections. Other than that, its just a matter of creating the database on the computer, and writing the software on the phone to use a connection string (the information required to connect all in a standard string) to work with the database. If you give more information on what you need to do, or what you're having troubles with, that would make it easier to give a more detailed explanation. ;)

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
That sounds about right to me. What type of software will be on the phone to access/modify the database? Or is that what you're writing?

You have to set up the SQL server to accept IP connections and use SQL authentication instead of trusted (windows) connections. Other than that, its just a matter of creating the database on the computer, and writing the software on the phone to use a connection string (the information required to connect all in a standard string) to work with the database. If you give more information on what you need to do, or what you're having troubles with, that would make it easier to give a more detailed explanation. ;)
Thanks a bunch for the reply! So I've pretty much decided that to start out, this is going to be an iPad app, for later use on a iPod Touch or iPhone.

It will be a native app that I'd probably just build through the iOS SDK. I have no idea how to use a connection string or even what language to code in, scripts etc.

So for this local PC network, what is the operating system that is installed, is it called SQL Server or is that an application on the server?