accelerometer amplifier

user_name

Joined Aug 10, 2009
Hey guys Im trying to build an amplifier for an accelerometer. using a LM 741 op amp. I also get a lot of noise on the oscilloscope. I'm trying to really amplify the voltage. any suggestions on what set up I can use to? Thanks.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I notice from the datasheet that the sensitivity of the sensor is 10 mV/g. That seems very insensitivity. What is the level of acceleration in g's you are needing to measure?

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Would you be interested in a more sensitive measurement in the range of +/- 2g?

Also, are you intending to use a microcontroller as part of your project?

hgmjr

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I wouldn't use the 741 op amp, it is far too noisy. I would suggest a low-noise instrumentation amplifier. You can find these from Texas Instruments, Analog Devices, and Intersil.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Try TL071/NE531/LF351/TL081 all are low noise, hi performance op-amps. Get a low noise op amp for your application. 741 is a general purpose, compensated op amp.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Try TL071/NE531/LF351/TL081 all are low noise, hi performance op-amps. Get a low noise op amp for your application. 741 is a general purpose, compensated op amp.
While these will work, an Instrumentation amp will be better. They are generally considered to be "unique op amps" since they provide the same functions of an op amp but provide better performance.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
For the sensitivity yes im interested in 2g's but i wont be using a micro controller.
Ive been trying to recreate the circuit in this website (http://www.me.utexas.edu/~dsclab/labs/accelerometers/ex2.html) varying the resistors according to my gain calculation, but Ive had little success. Any ideas, thanks.
Once you have boosted the output of the accelerometer adequately, what is your plan for the output of the signal? How do you intend to use the output?

hgmjr

user_name

Joined Aug 10, 2009
If I get this to work.. Im supposed to be measuring small oscillations. kinda like just put the accelerometer on the end of a ruler and pluck the ruler. a small cantilever beam, i want to get the sinusoidal wave for a long beam.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
If I get this to work.. Im supposed to be measuring small oscillations. kinda like just put the accelerometer on the end of a ruler and pluck the ruler. a small cantilever beam, i want to get the sinusoidal wave for a long beam.
If you are supposed to get oscillations, I would hook the output of the device to an oscilloscope. Then you can see if your getting a applicable waveform corresponding to the correct waveform.