AC relay control

nelsoncost

Joined Jan 14, 2010
Hi
I bought a 220V AC relay.
When I connect it to AC it keeps opening and closing (at a rate of 50 cycles per second, I guess).
Shouldn´t it just close or open once? How can i force it to do it?

Last edited:

nelsoncost

Joined Jan 14, 2010
What is the make and model of the relay? How have you connected it?
Its a relay FINDER 4052 2 INVERTER 220VAC. For now, and only for testing, I am plugging the terminals of the coil directly to 220 VAC.

I have also already tried to insert a diode in series with the coil but the relay keeps switching uninterruptibly.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Searching the number indicates that a model 4052 should have the designation of "8230" following the model number to have a 230 VAC coil.

nelsoncost

Joined Jan 14, 2010
Searching the number indicates that a model 4052 should have the designation of "8230" following the model number to have a 230 VAC coil.
That is the relay I have.... and my question remains: When I connect it to 220V AC shouldn´t it change from open to close only once?

nelsoncost

Joined Jan 14, 2010
The relay you have purchased is a bistable type! It will work with pulse command longer than 20 millisecs.

First pulse relay close; second pulse relay open again.

Very likely your connection is bouncing and your relay follows the pulses.

This relay cannot be connected to power for long period since it has been designed to work with pulsing command!

The relay you should buy is the 40.61 series (monostable) powering the coil the relay close; removing power the relay open again.

Alberto
Thank you very much for your answer... But the 40.52.8230 should be monoestable....

Last edited:

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
How many terminals for the coil? We used a latching relay that actually had a permanent magnet as the hold element. Three terminals for coil. One terminal was common, one terminal for latch, one for unlatch. Internally, there were two diodes. One polarity aided the magnet to pick up the armature. Opposite opposed the magnet to drop out the armature. Connecting both, it would buzzzzz at line frequency.

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Ac coils for relays and soleniods have a shader ring(usually made of copper)on the top of the core. Because of the shader ring, the magnetism developed in part of the core lags somwhat the magnetism of the remainder of the core. That is, there is a slight phase displacement between the magnetism of the part of the core and the remainder of the core. Thus, as the unshaded-core magnetic energy decrease to zero every half-cycle, the magnetic energy still present in the shaded portion of the core holds the armature sealed. By the time the energy in the shaded portion decrease to zero, coil and unshaded-core magnetic energy have begun to increase once again as current increase in value.