AC powered LED light

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosoko

Joined Feb 10, 2013
Hello, I bought some bright powerful LED's peak-rated at 2W each and I want to run them off AC. I decided against regulator circuits because of the cost and/or complexity (if I were to build one) so I thought of another design using caps for limiting current.

Here's the basic circuit:

As safety precautions I plan to add a fuse before the circuit and MOhm-rated resistors in parallel with caps so there's no residual voltage. The D1 diode is probably redundant, but I put it there with the idea of blocking wrong-way voltage on the LED's.

I haven't built it yet (it works in simulations goo .gl\W0zRi (Falstad's circuit simulation applet)) and I would be happy to receive criticism and warnings before I do build it and it melts my face.

Last edited by a moderator:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have seen your email.
This is mainly an educational forum, that why we do not allow anything directly connected to the mains.
If you use a transformer to isolate and reduce the voltage, the circuit may be OK.
For a led a couple of volts may be enough (depending on the specifications).
It is never wise to connect leds to AC, as the led can not have a backwards voltage of more than 5 Volts.

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.