AC motor wiring (need advice)

RudyBega

Joined Jun 26, 2013
I have a blower fan from my old AC unit. I want to use it to move some air through my shop to cool it down a bit. In the "Better safe than sorry" category, I thought I better stop by here to make sure I'm reading this diagram correctly...I am an extreme novice on all things electrical...

The diagram is a bit fuzzy, but it looks like I can simply connect the 2 BROWN wires to the capacitor, and then BLACK and WHITE to a 110 source (say, via an extension cord). Perhaps a on/off switch. That being said, it also looks like I could set this up to be variable speed - using RED, ORANGE, and BLUE wires.

So, questions...

A) Browns to CAP and Black and White to power - work?
B) Switch -- needs to be rated at least 115V (can it be higher?) and um...how many amps?
C) To use variable speed, say a ST5P rotary switch?? I searched for this but I'm not sure I'm searching for the right "thing."

Any help would be awesome!
-Rudy

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Looks straight forward enough?
The two brown to the cap, and white to neutral.
Take the live or hot, to whatever speed you need, Blk=Hi and Red Low, with the other two, BLU & ORG intermediate.
It is rated for 5amps so any switch in the 10-15 amps range would be OK of switching while running.
Max.