AC Motor Speed Controller

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Hello
A friend asked me to help him in building a speed controller circuit for a 220V 0.6A AC motor which is to be used in his BS senior project (Mechanical Engineering).
I'm not familiar with power AC electronics, but I found this circuit and seems to be easy..

The circuit with some details http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/acmotcon.asp

U1 is a DIAC Opto-Isolator, they are not available in my country.. I'm thinking if it works if I make one using a white bright LED and a DIAC in series with a photoresistor (facing the LED), and putting them in a small dim case. Is there any other solution?:rolleyes:

Another question.. in the parts list they say R13 is a 47 Ohm 1W Resistor, and that larger loads will require a smaller value.
If the motor is rated 0.6A, I see the real current will be more than that when there is a mechanical load (blades/fan in this case) and I assume for now the current would be about 1A. And as it's clear from the circuit, the voltage across this resistor will be used to voltage supply a part of the circuit..

Since the load current is about 1A, I see R13 should be about 20Ω 50W resistor (20Ω x 1^2 = 20W...). The voltage drop across the resistor will lower the load voltage a little(comparatively), but it is ok.
Also, if 20Ω resistor will be used, the voltage across it will be around 20V which will not require a transformer? right?

Regards,
Hazim

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
One thing I can tell you is that u cannot make an opto.
It has zero crossing too. So you got to find that part first

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
I can't find it.. and so I'll look for another circuit or idea. What about a 220V primary 220V-180V-140V-100V-60V secondary with a appropriate switch?:)
It is much expensive.. and heavy.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
R13 doesn't really provide part of the power for operation. It is the current sense device. The voltage developed across it is directly proportional to the current through the motor. The transformer steps this voltage down. The result is then rectified and filtered to provide a DC component that adjusts the emitter bias on Q1 Higher current will tend to lower Q1 current and ultimately reduce the angle of conduction of the triac.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
T1 purpose is to isolate the control from power side, R13 is the current sensor and these components provide feedback from the looks of it.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
since the OP have a circuit and is thinking of building it, then locking the thread won't stop him from killing himself :D.
heheheh..I think he knows the risk. still no one is suggesting to build it yet

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
What type of motor is it.
Post the part no. or a photo.
It's more probably not an inductive motor. I'll make sure.
I found opto-isolated diacs, they named them "optocoupler triacs". Here are the available ones:
http://www.ekt2.com/ekt/prodList.as...trSearchCat=0&curPage=1&sortField=description

I'm not sure which one fits my need in the circuit, the triac I will use is AC05F (600V 5A IGT<10mA) or equivalent.

R13, the current through it is the same as the motor current right? if yes then 1A^2 x 47Ω is about 50W, they say R13 is a 47Ω 1W resistor... What to do with this?
Transformer isolation?:)
Regards,
Hazim

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hmm that opto is perfect

As for R13.. are you misreading it....I think it is 0.47Ω.
A huge resistor in series with motor is a crazy idea

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I just re-read the info on the link in the original post. UNIVERSAL MOTORS! Brush type required! This circuit should not be used on induction motors.

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Hmm that opto is perfect

As for R13.. are you misreading it....I think it is 0.47Ω.
A huge resistor in series with motor is a crazy idea
No I'm not misreading it.. in the part list it's written "47 Ohm 1W Resistor". Maybe they made the mistake.

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
I just re-read the info on the link in the original post. UNIVERSAL MOTORS! Brush type required! This circuit should not be used on induction motors.
Yes, I edited my previous post about the motor (there was a missing word about the motor type...). I know AC brush type motors speed controlling depend on phase angle as this circuit doem while induction motors speed controlling depend on the frequency...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
since the OP have a circuit and is thinking of building it, then locking the thread won't stop him from killing himself :D.
heheheh..I think he knows the risk. still no one is suggesting to build it yet
Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.
It has been stated many times that such circuits are inherently dangerous. There has been some discussion about knowledgeable OP's being somehow exempted, which I hope no one took seriously. Nevertheless, this OP doesn't seem even to know what type of motor s/he has.

John

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
It has been stated many times that such circuits are inherently dangerous. There has been some discussion about knowledgeable OP's being somehow exempted, which I hope no one took seriously. Nevertheless, this OP doesn't seem even to know what type of motor s/he has.

John
I don't have the motor, I mentioned in the first post that I'll build this circuit for a friend.. he have the motor, I didn't see it and I can't now, but it's more probably a normal brushed AC motor, I'll make sure.

I'm a BS electronics engineering graduate and I work with electronics and electricity from I was 10 years old. I have repaired abundant electrical/electronic appliances... so relax:)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I'm a BS electronics engineering graduate and I work with electronics and electricity from I was 10 years old. I have repaired abundant electrical/electronic appliances... so relax:)
hazim said:
I'm not familiar with power AC electronics, but I found this circuit and seems to be easy..
The degree makes no difference, if you don't know. Control of any motor begins with knowing what type of motor you have.

It is a safety issue and this matter has been discussed here numerous times. You must also consider that not only do people with experience and training have access to this site, so do 10-year-olds and others with no experience.

Why not find out what type of motor you are trying to control and begin a new discussion on the right foot?

John

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
I still have one final inquiry. Will a MOC3010 optocoupler triac work? the datasheet says that it's a "NON-ZERO-CROSSING TRIAC". I bought it (1$)
If it must be a zero crossing type, then I'll buy one (MOC3040)..

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
zero crossing is not compulsory but will eliminate surge currents. So it is a sort of an improvement and the opto is not a triac but rather an isolation driver specifically designed to drive triacs