AC Motor Repair

Mckayman

Joined Jun 22, 2009
Hello everyone.

I am working in an old power sander from long ago. I am rebuilding the entire tool. I have everything completed except for the motor. I am stuck on this part right now and I would greatly appreciate some help. :)
All of the wires need replacing of course, but here is what I have.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks!

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think it breaks my heart to see a beautiful old motor like that die. That's why I rebuilt a 1938 drill press. The cast iron casing makes today's drill presses look like Tonka toys.

Anyway, back to you...The motor can probably be rewound, and that's the only way I know of to get those ragged old power wires properly replaced. If the motor isn't doing something special, just turning at a certain speed, you can replace it with a modern motor and get another 85 years out of the sander.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...The motor can probably be rewound...
...But not easily as a DIY project. Unless someone has enough experience to lead the OP thru it, I have enough experience to know how difficult it is to wind anything by hand. The coil wire looks quite thin, which makes it easier to handle, but gosh it'd be hard to get a uniform winding. You tend to get fewer turns by hand than a machine can achieve. And there's also the issue of determining what gauge the wire is, and how many turns there ought to be. DON'T unwind it without counting turns.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would never suggest doing it yourself. There are shops that do this kind of thing, way better than an amateur like me could ever hope for.

Mckayman

Joined Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for the info. Yeah this is the only part left of the tool I haven't rebuilt yet. The internal shaft of the motor is in very good condition still. I guess that it probably would be best to find someone who can rewind the outer part back up.

Or find a modern replacement.

Where is a good place were I could find a replacement?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Using a modern motor is all about how to mount it. You'll never find a motor case like that in today's world. Can you make a new mounting method? You can search the internet, Graingers, appliance parts retailers for a new motor.

If you can't, run to the yellow pages and find a motor rewinding shop.