AC mains indicator via induction

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The hot wire indicator is a fat pencil shaped thing that senses the field around the wire to decide whether to turn the LED from green to red. No connection required.

I have a stud finder (used to locate studs inside a wall) that indicates when AC voltage is present. It doesn't appear to
require that the circuit be loaded. They're sold in most all home improvement and hardware stores.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a stud finder (used to locate studs inside a wall) that indicates when AC voltage is present. It doesn't appear to
require that the circuit be loaded. They're sold in most all home improvement and hardware stores.
A stud finder relies on magnetic detection of nails or gyproc screws etc, there is also a capacitive version that detect a change in density (stud).
Max.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
A stud finder relies on magnetic detection of nails or gyproc screws etc, there is also a capacitive version that detect a change in density (stud).
Max.
Yes, a simple stud finder works as you describe. The multi-tool version is both a stud finder and mains power indicator. The reason it is important, is to make sure the user does not drill, screw or pound through a live wire.

technokid

Joined Nov 29, 2014
The LED would be powered from the source, It would not require its own batteries, unlike, the mains power indicator refereed to by Ronald Bridges and #a12. Here, I presume that, this is the case with the multi-tool version.

To maximize the power transfer from the power cord, which acts as a radiator of electromagnetic energy, the indicator circuit would have to be tuned to the frequency of the mains, just like a radio.

blocco a spirale idea also has merit

Last edited: