AC is not like a jig saw

Randy Jardee

Joined Mar 28, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for the site. I am finding it very informative, very good resource.

I ran across something that you may consider changing in the section that introduces AC. Your comparison of DC to a band saw is perfect, but comparing AC to a jig saw is flawed. A jig saw only cuts when the blade is traveling in one direction. AC performs work in both directions so a buck saw would be a more accurate analogy because they have blades that cut in both directions. The problem is that few people know what they are.
Thanks, again.

Randy

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Randy,

Actually there are jigsaw blades that cut on both the upward stroke and the downward stroke. Never used one, but seem them advertised. But...they're not the norm. ;)

Ken

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
Hi,

A jig saw [...]a buck saw [...] The problem is that few people know what they are.
So, according to your own statements, it all comes down to this: For most people, it doesn't matter whether the saw jig's or buck's. (And I'll agree to that fact, it doesn't matter to me either - When I do cut the power, AC or DC, I don't use a saw ;)).
However, I'm a bit (jig saw?) puzzled, why you find it important if it "says tomato or tomato" when nobody else cares?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Jig-saw, buck-saw, hand-saw, hack-saw - I couldn't tell you anything about them or the differences between them. That said if what the OP is correct, then the text should be corrected to reflect this inaccuracy.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
In context, the analogy makes a bit of sense. It should be understood as an analogy though, and not as a literal representation of the practical application of AC vs. DC power.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Perhaps the word "cuts" could be replaced with the word "moves." A bandsaw moves in only one direction. A reciprocating saw moves alternately in two directions.