AC current sensing

ransiluj

Joined Nov 14, 2012
I am designing a power meter that meaurse the additional power taken by a software when it is running under different loads. The power meter is in between the power socket and power supply. I need an IC that can measure the current going into the pc and also can detect very small current increments. Please give me an good IC for that or new ideas also welcome.

ransiluj

Joined Nov 14, 2012
Perhaps one of the Allegro current Ic's will suit your application. Hall effect sensing, isolated output. Vcc/2 for 0A.
the thing is that is sentivity. i need an IC that have more sensitivity. is there any ICs that you know more sensitive than Allegro ??

storken

Joined Jan 25, 2012
What kind of sensitivity do you need? I dont see how the allegro is the bottleneck with regard to accuracy or bandwidth. Your ADC, thats where you'll likely face sensitivity issues.

There are more sensitive sensors yes, but since it doesn't even seem like you've visited allegro's site - maybe you should :rolleyes:

ransiluj

Joined Nov 14, 2012
What kind of sensitivity do you need? I dont see how the allegro is the bottleneck with regard to accuracy or bandwidth. Your ADC, thats where you'll likely face sensitivity issues.

There are more sensitive sensors yes, but since it doesn't even seem like you've visited allegro's site - maybe you should :rolleyes:
well we are going to measure the power consumption of a software so when software is running we need to measure the small current change and the voltage change, we can measure voltage using voltage divider but for the current we didn't found any sensitive device (There are current sensing resistors). This current is in micro ampere range. So hard to measure. Allegro is not suit for over work. Is there any more sensors more sensitive than Allegro or Do you have a good idea than what we doing to measure the power? please let us know. Thank you. :)

storken

Joined Jan 25, 2012
I don't really see the value of measuring power consumption by software down to microamperes, but I have a few hints. To make the current measurement more accurate put the current sensor after the computers power supply.

You could probably try to hack your way to the processors power supply (normally 1,5V ~60A). Normally made up of a three stage buck converter, simply hacking yourself to the feedback employed by these circuits would give you good results.