Ac coupling question

Capt-Killjoy

Joined Sep 29, 2008
I am trying to run a single 50amp 120v line for my travel trailer off of a 6000w power inverter with 4 separate ac plugs-ins. If I attach the 4 black leads from each outlet as well as the 4 white leads and the 4 ground leads to my HD 120v 50amp cable plug, will the load applied at the single plug then be equally split between the 4 outlets on the inverter, or will I burn the inverter up? The power at our campground is not the greatest, so I was hoping to run the trailer off of a pure sine wave inverter running on batteries, being charged from a battery charger in order to stabilize the voltage to the trailer. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Oh jeez. Lemme see if I am picturing this correctly.

You have 4 outlets on the 6000w inverter.

You want to combine the 4 hots and 4 neutrals into 1 outlet.

Thinking that the 6000w is normally split equally between the 4 outlets (1500w each)

If they are all the same phase, I dont see why it should be a problem being they will all be pulling to the same device. So a common load.

I would monitor the temperature of the inverter during the tests.

[ed]

I have not done this, and I dont know if it will work. But if you make sure the lines are the same length, it should be ok.
If they are all in phase to each other it should be fine.
[/ed]

Last edited:

Capt-Killjoy

Joined Sep 29, 2008
Thanks for the prompt reply. I kinda figured it would be ok, but will hook up the o'scope to check for phase variance, just to be sure. Don't know if this is the right thing to be doing or not, but the voltage at the campground varies from 90vac to 120vac depending on how many people are in the campground. I am just looking for a solution to give myself steady power. I figured the variable power going to the battery charger would'nt be an issue then.

Capt-Killjoy

Joined Sep 29, 2008
The normal maximum load for the trailer is actually rated at 40 amps so I am hopng nothing will burn up with using the larger inverter. Any suggestions on how to calculate what amperage setting to use on the charger for running the trailer in this fashion so as not to have my batteries drain to a critical level?