ac adapter wiring question

trevanian

Joined Feb 23, 2010
I have an ac adapter wiring problem, there are three black wires, one is solid black, the other one has a solid white line, and the third one has white dashes on it. Can anyone helpe me and tell which is the power, negative and ground? or what they are.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Is there any other info on the adapter? A name? Model #? Those three wires could be anything. Maybe you can find a datasheet for it.

trevanian

Joined Feb 23, 2010
because I'm a newbie, just came across this board by accident. I need to replace the tip and I have the tip cut off from another adapter that broke on me also but I desperately need the files from my hard drive. I need to know how to match the wires, the wires from the original adapter are different colors.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
If you connect the wrong polarity then the hard drive might blow up. A cheap multimeter will show the polarity if the original adapter still works.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Yes, you WILL need at least a multimeter. Especially in a laptop, it you wire it backward, you have zero room for things to heat up.

And, ill ask one more time, is there any numbers, on the ac adapter? How about the model number of the Western Digital? These things matter. Alot.

trevanian

Joined Feb 23, 2010
its this model number AcBel AD6008 AC / DC
Adapter Type: Device power supply

Input Voltage: 100-240VAC (50-60Hz)

Output Voltage: 12V and 5V Volts DC

Amperage: 1.5 A and 2.5A Amps

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
OK.. good news and bad. You are pretty much screwed with the power supply:
read this:
http://forums.computershopper.com/showthread.php?t=6010

But you can take the hard drive out of the case and put it in the computer, and the computer will power it and recognize it so you can copy every thing over. Read this:
http://www.rustylime.com/show_article.php?id=1189

It is a store for the hard drive, but read the comments below, go till you see CLARK. He has the same problem as you and installed it in his tower to get his files off.

If you put the 12v to the 5v side, you kill it. But if you open it up, it is the same connector as the internal hard drive

trevanian

Joined Feb 23, 2010
ok the first one was fried, but then I have a new power supply then one of the pins broke off. So I have one good power supply and one good tip from another one. I need to connect the two, so that is why I need to know the wires from the power supply as to what they to connect them to the new 5 pin end.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Did you read the first post? They are generics, With out a multi meter, you wont know if the white stripe is 5v or ground or 12v..
AcBel AD6008 is the power source model number and "brand" name made in China. Everything about this power source and hard drive is proprietary so no generic AC adapter is going to work, despite what some online "help" forums advise.