AC Adapter question

mike_crawford

Joined Jan 21, 2010
Was wondering.... I have a circuit board powered by a 6V/200mA AC adapter. Would substituting an adapter of the exact same voltage but double or triple the current potential (400-600mA), possibly damage the circuit board?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Was wondering.... I have a circuit board powered by a 6V/200mA AC adapter. Would substituting an adapter of the exact same voltage but double or triple the current potential (400-600mA), possibly damage the circuit board?
Not so long as the polarity of the output plug matches - and fits.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Per se, no worries in theory. If you really want to be careful, check the actual output voltage under load using the two chargers. You'll have to make a judgement as to how big a difference is ok. An undersized "6 volt" charger might deliver 8 volts under no load and drop to 4 volts as it struggles. The beefier charger might deliver 6.5 to the load, possibly a significant difference.

arunsjoshi

Joined Oct 22, 2010
Check if the AC adaptor is a regulated power supply or not? Many cheap AC adaptors are not regulated i.e. their output voltage varies with the load current. In such a case, the higher current adaptor may give out a higher voltage for your circuit board and may damage it.