ac adapter k30290

cainrand

Joined Jan 28, 2014
I had found a thread on this forum regarding the ac adapter k30290 but it didn't have a resolution, so I am hoping I can get some help troubleshooting this component.

It is out of a Canon printer which "died" along with many other electronics when lightening struck.

Looks like I should have an output of at least 24V but the most I can get is 7.5V
I am not super wise to this sort of repair, but I was hoping to find a burned TVS Diode or something obvious when I opened the case - I don't see anything.

Could I get some suggestion or help in troubleshooting this?

Thanks

Attachments

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Looks like I should have an output of at least 24V but the most I can get is 7.5V
What are you using to measure this?
What I am really asking is what test euqipment is available and can you use it?

I can't see any obvious dmage on the component side, but IC1 on the track side could be damaged, or just blurred in the second photo.

Can you systematically test each components with an ohmeter/continuity checker. The diodes are easily accessible.

cainrand

Joined Jan 28, 2014
Only thing I have is my seemingly outdated Fluke meter (used to be a Diesel Mechanic).

The IC1 looks Ok under the microscope.

Attachments

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Microscopes are all very well but your Fluke is more use.

Go round all the two legged componenets you can D1, D2, D3, D4 D10?, L, R4 and test.

The diodes should have high resistance in one direction and low in the other.

L2 should look like a short circuit.

If these components are OK, it will be worth delving further.

cainrand

Joined Jan 28, 2014
Not knowing exactly what I am doing or what is what and what should be doing what...
I put the meter on Ω and check the two legged components, they all have a higher reading one way than they do the other, though some are not much different.

KevinLuck

Joined Apr 10, 2014
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem with my printer power supply dying (after a lightning strike) and so I'd really appreciate any information on what I should be looking for when testing the various components on a K30290 adapter board.
Many thanks.