About the right brain.... enter at your own risk!

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
Hi people,

Im a 29 year old sterotypical lefty with ambi tendancies that has finally decided to apply myself towards higher education. I am involved in an AAS EET program and it has been fun so far but also continually frustrating with few epiphanies along the way. I embarked upon this course for several reasons, one, to be able to stop getting laid off every 3 years from wherever I am working... two, to be able to get paid a better salary and have a modicum of 'respect' for having a degree of some sort, and of course, I love electronics and want to be able to make great things happen. I pride myself on persistance and detail and have always been rewarded for that but I swear this college stuff is like pluto to me.

I guess what the point of this is, I keep feeling like I am missing key parts throughout the experience. I read the books many times over. I take pages of notes, write down formulas, etc but if you were to throw some parts at me and ask me to build a two stage amp on a breadboard, I'd probably screw it up. Simple things like phasors and what not blow my mind, lol.

I've always been a self-taught/mentor stalker kind of guy and don't do well with structured learning. Thing is, Electronics is soooooo involved and multidimensional that I do really understand why they are teaching me the way they do and I can tell its a great course. I just constantly feel like an idiot, it just doesn't form a cohesive thought pattern in my brain. I love numbers, I love little parts and circuit boards, should be a match.

I'm almost a 1/3 done with it and have maintained a 94%, so you may be asking, "whatthecrapareyouwankingabout?"

Well, Im very good at extracting key info that I figure will be on the exam, it doesn't mean that I always know what the hell Im actually doing, lol And I don't do that to circumvent learning, I just can't help it.

If you've gotten to this point without clicking the back arrow, I salute you.

What I guess I am trying to solicit, is responses from people who have achieved their own version of success, whilst suffering from these similar issues.

Its like I have every dish network and cable channel turned on at the same time in my brain, you probably gathered this already from the meandering nature of my post. At this point I don't even remember what I actually wanted to talk about because I'm pretty sure I've gone of course.

Oh yeah, I remember...

Am I just building my own mental prison or do other people feel that right brain dominant people have a naturally hard time with math-related fields?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Junior, you are a little late I already command that space
and time,competition It's great. I will follow your post to
see If you are a self full feeling genius. Beenthere done
that In all arena's,no bull fighting,just chase by a bull.
Bull fighted a kitten In his lion mode,what side of the
brain to see here. My thinging Is always on the point of
pin. I welcome you to the stage,you are just In time for
New Years I need that. We have moved from the tech
cycle to entertainment focus for the economy combo.
No risk,you need to retreat to the safety
of your fetal position where the mind rest.

Last edited:

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
Fear not ye old knight, about competition, my dad always said there's always room at the top for the best.... and that includes fractured mentalists.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Fear not ye old knight, about competition, my dad always said there's always room at the top for the best.... and that includes fractured mentalists.
Sao Paulo:

I find I'm able to access my right brain a lot more as I get older. I'm not sure that's not just plain senility, however. :)

eric

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Pauly,Ready to match you sports,or your choice of engagement
no fear.New Years eve night diver with out lights,2 motorcycles.
30 minute tennis lesson for beginner,Knight on horse .You have a
weakness that will be found given time. The spanish boys call me
Rambo,name earned. I am a story teller time or place,not a lair that a fact.

Last edited:

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
I see you well perfected in your art
the subtle mis-spells and horse after cart
jilted structure resonates, oh so smart
if you truly want to rumble, please sir take heart
I shall exact extreme predjudice
whilst ye be recalled like lawn darts.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is a practice thing, the more you do it the easier it gets, until you can't understand why it was ever so difficult. Try to hang on to the memory, you might have to pass it on someday.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Paulo I'm almost in the same situation as you accept that I'm teaching myself and haven't tried going to school yet. I'd love too but that just not a reality for me at this time. But I do have years and years of experience in web design, graphic art, video effects.... on and on. When I was learning all these I felt nearly the same as you do. Then one day it all clicked. You just have to keep reading and plugging away and you'll wake up one day and realize that you actually understand whats going on.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Max, Do you understand that the ac from the house voltage
is changed to dc to operate curcuits. Are you that far in
understanding,just trying to help you with questions to asks if needed.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Huh? wth are you talking about? I just bite the end off my lamp cord and use that. :) :)

Whats a curcuit? :)

Now that I look around there's lots of Floridians here.

Last edited: