About speaker, amplifier & power supply

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Hi,
I have few questions in my mind about audio amplifiers. Here goes...

1. If an amplifier is mentioned 16W, what is the current required by the IC when driving a 4 ohm speaker. Is it 2 Amps??? (sqrt(16 / 4))

2. If the current required is 2 Amps, what is the current rating of the power transformer?

3. A transformer of detail 230 / 12 - 0 - 12, 3 Amp. What is that 3 ampere? Does it belongs to 230v or 12v?

4. If i want to design a 5.1 amplifier (6 channel) with three ICs (TA 8215 @ 15W / channel), what is the total current required? suggest me the transformer and its ratings.

5. Is it possible to design a woofer or speaker box with glass?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Ugg... You just opened a can of worms.

Advertised "whattage" and actual wattage have nothing in common. (Except they are numbers)

As for #5, you can build a speaker enclosure out of whatever material you want. Some materials have better resonant properties when combined with different drivers.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
If i want to design a 5.1 amplifier (6 channel) with three ICs (TA 8215 @ 15W / channel), what is the total current required? suggest me the transformer and its ratings.

If you used all the channels on the three ICs you'd have a 6.0 instead of a 5.1 amp, 5.1 means only preamp out for the subwoofer.

As to your voltage and current requirements simply look at the examples in the datasheet for a TA8215 then multiply that by three.

Please note there are hundreds of ways manufacturers specify output power and most make it sound as if you're getting more power than you actually are. A truthful rating for an audio amp is in Watts RMS, all channels driven, into a X ohm load from 20 Hz to 20 KHz with less than or equal to Y distortion.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Amplifiers use a lot more power than just their output by geting hot. The power of the heating must be added to the output power.

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008
If you used all the channels on the three ICs you'd have a 6.0 instead of a 5.1 amp, 5.1 means only preamp out for the subwoofer.
surprised.... what, can a pre amp drives the 4 ohm, 15W speaker? I thought an amplifier is required.....

My PC is configured with 5.1 ready.....
I need six amplifiers for six channels......am i wrong?
I have seen TL072 based LFE filters on Google. I think i dont need it.....right?

your single answer confused me alot. Make it clear please.

AND still i didnt understand what transformer i have to use for this?

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008
As for #5, you can build a speaker enclosure out of whatever material you want. Some materials have better resonant properties when combined with different drivers.
ThanQ. so, i can use a glass enclosure.

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009

To get a very simplified understanding, then yes if you dissipated 16W in an ideal 4ohm speaker then yes you would need the amplifier to supply 2Arms.

If you have 16W flowing out of the amplifier then you need more watts flowing in through the power supply. The datasheet gives you a ballpark internal dissipation within an amplifier of about 12W - so the power supply must provide about 16+12=28W.

The 3A refers to the 12-0-12V winding's rms current rating.

Ballpark single power supply power rating to supply 6 amplifiers (ie. 3x TA8215) is then 6 x 28W = 168W.

The above is all very simplified - and in essence is 'unreal' if you are listening to music.

Why do you want to use glass? If you want to see the speaker, then there are a number of 'see-throughs' - which I think use a clear polycarbonate (eg. Lexan).

Ciao, Tim

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008
To get a very simplified understanding, then yes if you dissipated 16W in an ideal 4ohm speaker then yes you would need the amplifier to supply 2Arms.

If you have 16W flowing out of the amplifier then you need more watts flowing in through the power supply. The datasheet gives you a ballpark internal dissipation within an amplifier of about 12W - so the power supply must provide about 16+12=28W.
ok...

The 3A refers to the 12-0-12V winding's rms current rating.
thanks tim.

Ballpark single power supply power rating to supply 6 amplifiers (ie. 3x TA8215) is then 6 x 28W = 168W.
so, what is the current rating? is it 168/12v = 14A????? shocked:confused:

Why do you want to use glass? If you want to see the speaker, then there are a number of 'see-throughs' - which I think use a clear polycarbonate (eg. Lexan).
i dont know about lexan....ok..i'll search for that. ya, i need a see - through...

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Glass isn't recommended for woofer enclosures.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Most of a good audio amplifier is the power supply. No matter what you use for the outputs, if the power supply isn't stiff and capable, the audio will clip and be very distorted.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thing to remember is to standardize the readings. I assume you are talking RMS power, basic AC stuff. This means you are going to need 2.828 X the DC to handle the peak and peak to peak waveforms (again, basic AC stuff). It is important to compare apples to apples.

Marketers lie, and ignore basic AC math (probably because they have no clue). When you talk to an engineer or a tech you will be getting real world values, instead of what sounds good so you will buy it.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
U going to get big band for sure if u use glass cabinet for a sub.
Im guessing you meant a "BIG BANG". ;)

You WILL need some nice thick, PORTED glass if you want to do that.

There are many-a-speaker enclosure made from polys.

Quite easy to construct too. You can get a 4x8 foot sheet of 3/4 inch polycarb and make a clear enclosure.

Use HIGH quality, HIGH strength adhesive that is chemically matched for poly.

I would also back that up with some thick threaded fasteners.

Especially if you are using a long-throw woofer.

A lot of air needs to be moved. Porting will help with pressures.

Read about port tuning so you dont ruin the sound, or the speaker.

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for u all.....
5.1 amplifer: I got three uPC1185h ICs
power supply: 12V, 5Amp
speakers: 4 ohm
woofer: 4 ohm, 15W (small one for my small room) I need to test the woofer with the IC. LFE signal is ready at my PC mother board audio terminals.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You power supply isn't nearly enough.

The Datasheet states the 20W output is with a dual 22V power supply, which means a center tap transformer at 5 Amps (less than 1 amp per channel).

The subwoofer has a built in amplifier, correct?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A small woofer produces no bass. a high quality 8" or bigger woofer in an enclosure designed for it goes down to about 50Hz (-3dB).
A little "woofer" that is only 2" or 3" goes down to about 250Hz so does not prodduce bass sounds.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
If the woofer is 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms then it needs an amplifier that can drive 4 ohms. The power supply voltage will probably be different.