ABET- Grad school

bootloader9800

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Hi folks. I just found out that ABET accredits only 3 schools for Masters in Electrical Engineering in the entire US.
When it comes to Undergrad programs, they seem to have a list of about 400 schools.
Does any one know why the grad school number is so low?
Ty

1630074880055.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Perhaps most of the graduate schools do not have the time, or the resources, or the motivation to participate in the process. They may consider accreditation as irrelevant compared to other factors.

If you were to ask me about where I would go for an MSEE, (I have one by the way), none of those schools would be on my list or even close to being on my list. My first two choices would be:
  1. California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
  2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
Other factors I would consider would be:
  1. Notable Faculty members
  2. Size of the endowment
  3. Number of volumes in the library
  4. Tuition cost and financial aid
  5. Living expenses while attending
That's my list, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Having participated in the ABET undergrad process as a staff member of an EE department, I can tell you it is a serious undertaking. The undergrad accreditation is important for new student recruitment and the value of the undergrad degree. I have no idea how important grad program certification is, but judging from the fact that almost no schools do it, including very well regarded ones, it must not be very.

If it is like the undergrad process, it would be very hard for a department to do both, the investment in time and energy from the faculty would be prohibitive If it is not essential.