AAC Members on IRC

ActivePower

Joined Mar 15, 2012
Hi,

It has been a couple of months since I came to know about IRC (I admit I have been quite ignorant) and since then I have spent quite a few hours idling on various channels - Beagleboard, Arduino, my local LUG among others and I find it a wonderful place for instant communication with like-minded peeps.

I was wondering how many other AAC members are currently frequent IRC idlers? If so, which channels?

PS: I also searched for an AAC IRC channel but couldn't find one. Then, apparently there already has been some discussion on the topic (IIRC in a thread from '09!).

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Yes, there was an initiative but it didn't give fruits. On Skype as well.
Well, it was to be expected. We don't enjoy brainless chit chat too much in general around here.

ActivePower

Joined Mar 15, 2012
Not that I meant useless chit-chat. But I felt IRC was a really quick way sometimes when you need to get advise on technical matters and have no one to ask around.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
That's exactly the point. People come here to help others on well documented problems and answers, that are thought of and posted hours later.

Sitting in front of the screen and doing real-time conversation is a totally different beast altogether.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I tried to make a chatroom for AAC in 2009 like you said. It did not work out. Most people on here are working busy adults with lives and families. Some are retired but they probably rather spend their time fishing or playing golf.

Another major problem with a chatroom was things like "I need someone to solve my final exam NOW!!!!" went from a forum where it could be ignored to a live chatroom where people demanded such things live in person.

Its probably best to keep this website as a forum only. You can make an AAC IRC channel if you want, but expect to be bombarded with people demanding that you solve their homework for them. I speak from past experience.

ActivePower

Joined Mar 15, 2012
@count_volta: I certainly wouldn't want that now, would I? I barely have enough time to solve mine nowadays :D

I am not actually suggesting that we have an AAC IRC channel. I was just wondering if there were AAC members who were visitors IRC channels.

There are a lot of open-source projects (hardware/software) whose members communicate via IRC - I came to know about it while preparing my Summer of Code application. So I figured I could find some of you there.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't even like instant chat with my family! It takes too long to type a proper answer and your mistakes (caused by haste) are immortalized. You want fast, phone me. You want correct, wait until I do the math and I'll email it to you.