AAC, Life, and Projects

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I know I am not the only one who spends less time online on AAC. In my case it isn't much less, but I am far pickier as to what projects I chose to jump in on. I have been writing, doing up dates on old projects like the LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers (forum edition), which get translated to my blog version once I am happy with it.

Other people here will be spending less time, one regular was banned (hopefully temporarily, you don't bump heads with a moderator) and I am aware of other issues coming up with some other members.

I don't expect we'll have a lot of problems, the rest of the membership is always willing to jump in there, occasionally with less patience. I want to keep this site open to beginners, and a teaching opportunity.

There are some other changes that might be coming up, I am not in the loop but am aware of them. I can hope they don't change the character of this site, time will tell.

I'm thinking of limiting my online presence a bit more, for writing. Oddly this will mean I am more active than usual, but in a different way.

You ever feel you spend too much time online in the forums?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I've not been so active lately. Most because I've nothing to contribute. Still have some projects going on, but nothing big. These days it's gardening and preparing the boat for the season. Looking forward to the summer vacation.:D

I was sorry to find out which member who was recently banned, but as you say:
(hopefully temporarily, you don't bump heads with a moderator)
How is the big fire affecting you, Bill?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not much. I watch and listen, and don't repeat every thing I read. Something Masons are known for. I am waiting for the new rules, same as everyone else.

soundman

Joined Dec 27, 2010
This site is the only thing that I belong to because the rest of my time is consumed by work and other commitments. As a new member though I have noticed the steady contribution from several members and I wish I could offer the same because they make the site fantastic.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Same here. Work commitments and (maybe) spring are taking up much of my time. Some projects planned for summer that will keep me busy. Still building circuits on the breadboard to learn concepts. I guess I'll get back to my stupid, obsessive camera trigger project in the fall.:mad: I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!

Gotta get the summer toys outta storage. :)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Meh, I can't say I spend more or less time on AAC. There are always students who ask for help on their homework, so there's always a bit of work for me in the forum.

I wish I could put myself together and write a bit more for the e-book, just to justify my E-book developer title.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
This all sounds pretty ominous. This website has been a boon to me since some other activities have had to be curtailed due to health issues (which may lead to me having to bow out fairly soon in any case, time will tell).

Does anyone have any idea of what time scale is involved, or indeed the likely extent of the changes - for instance could this become a subscription-only site?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Does anyone have any idea of what time scale is involved, or indeed the likely extent of the changes - for instance could this become a subscription-only site?
I think it is safe to say we won't go there. No, the rules will be more along the lines of harder lines where we won't discuss issues. Automotive comes to mind. Basically it will still be AAC. I also believe it will be superior to most of the similar sites out there. One thing I am hoping is the rules won't be too constricting, I don't want this to be a kiddy site.

I've mentioned it before, but there is a certain disconnect between the AAC book (AKA Lessons in Electronic Circuits) and this forum. I am hoping that the books isn't changed to accommodate the idiots amongst us. If anything, it should have a few more "dangerous" tidbits of information that will not be allowed in the forums. Censorship is rarely good, even with the best of motives. IMO this should be a college level set of books.

Meh, I can't say I spend more or less time on AAC. There are always students who ask for help on their homework, so there's always a bit of work for me in the forum.

I wish I could put myself together and write a bit more for the e-book, just to justify my E-book developer title.
You don't need to justify anything. I could not have written your section of the book. Look for improvements or needed additions, and write as the muse strikes.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
This all sounds pretty ominous. This website has been a boon to me since some other activities have had to be curtailed due to health issues (which may lead to me having to bow out fairly soon in any case, time will tell).

Hope all is well, I need people like you to learn from, and correct my misperceptions....

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Hey! Take it easy. The regime isn't going to change. We don't have a coup d' etat on the making. The administration is just trying to make the site idiot-proof. The level of provided service isn't going to change.

At least I hope so...

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
I want to learn electronics in actual but I can't because I am too young. But this Web site at least help me to learn....

People out there are from many countries means means many concepts. :D

I have also learned to communicate with others people around the world and to make my english skills better.

I really love electronics a lot but can't master it.

I am a weird person I guess. As I even ask my teachers nonsense questions. ;) i ask it because i want everything to be specifically. :D :D

Um, I think I spent 2/4 to 3/4 of my life to AAC learning with electronics.:)

I hope all of you guys understands me if I am too much weird to ask questions repetedly as I want everything to be specifically correct...

Thanks mates. :)

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Don't worry about being too young - it is a self-correcting condition! Enjoy youth while it lasts, and accept that there are some things you are not yet ready for. You will most likely find that things open up for you in some quite interesting ways in the next few years, but don't rush into everything.

When you are older, you will be able to do different things, but you will also have to stop doing some things you now enjoy. A lot of older people would wish that they could be where you are now, with your life ahead of you.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the great ironies of life is when you are young you want to be older, and when you are old you want to be younger.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
One of the great ironies of life is when you are young you want to be older, and when you are old you want to be younger.
When I was a kid (about 7 years old) I said to myself I want to be older to do something that older can only do. Now, when I was 12 years old, I understood that the happiest moment of a person is the childhood. And now, I will do all the best to make my childhood the best. :) I dont want to waste my being a child. :D

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Too true. We may forget how tough some things seemed at the time, but at least we have some basis for comparison.

The young person is unaware of what is coming, and if he is lucky simply takes good health, sight, hearing and so on for granted.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Too true, but I realized that I'm t the middle ground now, where I'm old enough to be listened to and young enough to still believe in magic ;)

When I was a kid (about 7 years old) I said to myself I want to be older to do something that older can only do. Now, when I was 12 years old, I understood that the happiest moment of a person is the childhood. And now, I will do all the best to make my childhood the best. :) I dont want to waste my being a child. :D
If you've got that figured out, you're set!

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I've been absent for a few months but now I have some time to "catch up" on the goings at AAC.

I haven't read anything yet to suggest a more restrictive site, although it might seem so as things occur. Automotive lighting will always be a safety issue as there are way too many regulations for us to be cognizant of the worldwide regulations. Some things will always be restrictive to the person whose topic runs afoul of the rules. The "over unity" crowd will always try to get assistance from this forum and yet this forum will remain a part of the vast conspiracy to keep them down ... but not from learning the credulity of their own thinking.

No one is preventing anyone on these forums from advising someone on the restrictive items here in the formus. Just use another medium (e-mail for instance) to accomplish that activity.

How can you ascertain the OP is knowledgable enough to do the experimentation that they are describing? I've used HI-POTs to test capacitors, but that only indicates I should have a healthy respect for high voltages, the emphasis is on should. Imagine your description of the test lying there next to the incapable person. How would you answer the call from the police?

It's bad enough we sometimes have a communication problems. As a world wide resource, it would be wise not to deviate from a safety first policy.

We know there are physiological effects when in contact with electrical currents. In the naval services, they talk of potentials as low as 30 volts is dangerous. Why? Body resistance can less than 30 ohms in certain enviroments and the current would be above the 1 mA perception level. Below is the OSHA link addressing the electrical safety issue.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/electrical_incidents/eleccurrent.html#wet_conditions

Anyone can help whoever they wish. The topics restricted here can be discussed elsewhere. Those that will help will soon get private messages for assistance. The OPs will identify the help quick enough.

I'm betting beenthere will not receive any private messages seeking assistance from the over unity crowd. He might receive them accusing him of being part of a conspiracy though.