A weird spider story

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
It happened on 31st December.

I went shopping some foodstuff at 5PM.
Tesco supermarket!

I did not buy anything special, some orange juice which I drink right now, and a deep frozen pizza, some other foodstuff.

When I paid for the goods, and moved them into my backpack, something really weird happened.

I was nearly finished to move everything into the backpack, only the pizza was left.

Then a hudge black spider jumped off from the backpack, straight onto the chrome surface next the cash register.

It moved away very quickly.

The woman at the till said "Don't worry about that".

The spider really was gone the same moment!

When I arrived home, there was even another spider in my hairs. It dropped down on a silk strand.

I have more than 30 spiders at home, some hudge, most are smaller. One is about 3 years old!

What was the reason for dropping off at the supermarket? Maybe the spider was thinking, "New year, new life"? Not enough bugs anymore to eat?

This really happened, it is a true story. The Tesco supermarket really exists here in Dublin, Ireland.

drspastic

Joined Jan 1, 2013
was the till woman a spider expert in her spare time or maybe a zoologist that cant find work? huge spiders are sometimes things to worry about. strange confidence, especially as it may have crawled out a bunch of african bannanas.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It happened on 31st December.

I went shopping some foodstuff at 5PM.
Tesco supermarket!

I did not buy anything special, some orange juice which I drink right now, and a deep frozen pizza, some other foodstuff.

When I paid for the goods, and moved them into my backpack, something really weird happened.

I was nearly finished to move everything into the backpack, only the pizza was left.

Then a hudge black spider jumped off from the backpack, straight onto the chrome surface next the cash register.

It moved away very quickly.

The woman at the till said "Don't worry about that".

The spider really was gone the same moment!

When I arrived home, there was even another spider in my hairs. It dropped down on a silk strand.

I have more than 30 spiders at home, some hudge, most are smaller. One is about 3 years old!

What was the reason for dropping off at the supermarket? Maybe the spider was thinking, "New year, new life"? Not enough bugs anymore to eat?

This really happened, it is a true story. The Tesco supermarket really exists here in Dublin, Ireland.
How did you know the spider was 3 years old??

"was even another spider in my hairs"

My grandpa used to use the phrase "hairs" when referring to the hair on his head. He would say "I got my hairs cut". My mother and her brothers and sisters would say "No Dad you got your hair cut". My grandpa would say "I got all of them cut didn't I". :)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I told you this is a true story. Nothing special about the Tesco.

The spider in my bathroom is 3 years old. The cobweb is all over the window sill.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Your home sounds similar to mine, takao. My home also houses many spiders, some small, some large. The outside of my house also serves as home to spiders, centipedes, millipedes, ants, and bees of all sorts. I was stringing up Christmas lights a few weeks ago when I came across a hibernating spider. Large for the area, approximately 3 inches in diameter. The little bugger was hiding between the siding and the foundation of my house.

Several years ago I woke up one morning lying on my stomach with my head to the side. As the blur started to disappear from my eyes, I saw a brown spot on my shoulder. It eventually became clear that it was a young wolf spider. It was just sitting there, very content on my shoulder. I was able to calmly remove it with the bedsheet with no problems.

Just a few months ago, when it first started getting cold here in VT, I noticed several large wolf spiders on my bedroom wall. They literally came out of nowhere! I captured them and released them outside, only to come back to more there a couple hours later. Apparently I'm prone to spider encounters :p

The spider you describe sounds a bit like a jumping spider we have here in the northeast U.S. The ones here are jet black, with small white or yellow markings on its abdomen and head. The largest I've seen was about 3/4" in diameter, but those things are fast!

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I found some in this small kitchen press.

Today I moved in the toroid transformer box, and the TL494 power supply board.

Under the pineapple container there are at least two spiders, they pile up dead woodlice. Every few weeks, there is a small heap of carcasses.

The spiders all seem to be derscendants from this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/takao21203/7559538660/

A rare photo because normally, they are suspended in their webs upside down.

Because all of the spiders have the same white markings, and hang upside down, I think they are the same species.

No, these are not jumping spiders.

They build webs preferably in the dark, and preferably if there is a small burrow. But also inside boxes! But never on the ceiling.

Attachments

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
How did you know the spider was 3 years old??

"was even another spider in my hairs"

My grandpa used to use the phrase "hairs" when referring to the hair on his head. He would say "I got my hairs cut". My mother and her brothers and sisters would say "No Dad you got your hair cut". My grandpa would say "I got all of them cut didn't I". :)
Funny my grandma used to call jalapeno peppers, Jap-a-leen-o peppers her whole life.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Funny my grandma used to call jalapeno peppers, Jap-a-leen-o peppers her whole life.
OK it was sitting on my head.

Why two spiders on one single day?

1. Two spiders wanting to go to Tesco, but only one made it.
2. I picked up the other one as exchange.
3. It just dropped down on me also on that day.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Takao, I may have seen a few of those types of spiders before. They could of course just be lookalikes, but I have a huge nest of them in one of my sheds. It's not uncommon that when I open the door, one or two scurry out. They're tiny though, only about a quarter inch in diameter.

I once opened an old car radio and saw a spider nested in the middle. It was brown and had a strange pattern on its back. I recognized it almost immediately as a Brown Recluse--one of the most poisonous spiders in my area. It was strange that he made a home in an old car radio. They usually prefer clothing. Anyway, I nudged it with my screwdriver to see if it was still alive and it lunged at the tip. I could see its fangs dripping gooey stuff onto the screwdriver, and I decided I'd better leave it alone. I'm just glad I saw it before I pulled the board out!

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
My spiders are really far more recluse. If they are disturbed, they immediately retract into their burrow.

If I touch the large web in the bathroom only a little, the spider will start running immediately.

Amazing how they sit there day after day, do nothing, then immediately can run very fast.

All this works with only a small drop of liquid food stored inside the spider.