A very interesting DEADBUG style

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, not trimming the leads would tend to wick heat away (miniature heat sink) but I think the possibility of accidentally bending the leads and creating a short negates the benefit. It needs a proper heat sink.

I wouldn't worry about RF being picked up; any signal resonant to the wavelength of the resistors' leads would require far more bandwidth than an audio amp could provide.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Oh, this was just one photo to whet the appetites and to get folks to check the link..

The design does include heat sinking and lead clipping.. But a non-ground-plane design for a hi-fi device seems interesting. I suppose the freq. isn't that high, and the designer speaks of 'short signal path' from input to amp to output. The gainclone he talks about has a 1cm signal path.

Actually, I suppose he does have a ground plane... the whole bottom of the unit is grounded.. so is there a reason to go PCB or not in this case?

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Whatever works, it boils down to personal choice. I've always appreciated a good dead bug design, the biggest benefit I can think of is the wire you'll use is almost guaranteed to be of a much higher equivalent gauge than PCB traces. The non trimmed resistors does seem silly. I'd love to seem more pics.