A tuned Circuit

conclusionof

Joined Nov 11, 2008
If there is a RLC-tuned circuit designed such that an inductor and a resistor is connected to parallel each other and in series to a capacitor.
How can we find the resonance frequency and bandwidth of this circuit ?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
If there is a RLC-tuned circuit designed such that an inductor and a resistor is connected to parallel each other and in series to a capacitor.
How can we find the resonance frequency and bandwidth of this circuit ?
Regardless of any resistance, the resonant frequency of any circuit is determined by 1/2pi(sqrt(LC)). The bandwidth of a circuit is determined by the general formula : BW=f/Q. All other things being equal, the Q is the ratio of the reactance over resistance. However, your circuit is neither a pure parallel nor pure series circuit. The proper model of this is an L network, with a resistive load. There are is a special case for determining the bandwidth of loaded L networks, covered in quite a lot of detail in the ARRL Handbook. I don't have the formula on the tip of my tongue right now, for which I am highly ashamed....I should know it. But I'll look it up. Stand by!

eric

conclusionof

Joined Nov 11, 2008
Thanks Eric for your effort to answer my question. I really appreciate for it.

But, I m still not sure whether we have a resonance at w=1/sqrt(LC) for any combination of RLC.

For instance, I have found out that if there is a circuit like Network-3 (in the link) have a resonance at w^2 = 1/LC - (R/L)^2.

And that is not equal to the frequency which we have a series or parallel RLC ...

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Thanks Eric for your effort to answer my question. I really appreciate for it.

But, I m still not sure whether we have a resonance at w=1/sqrt(LC) for any combination of RLC.

For instance, I have found out that if there is a circuit like Network-3 (in the link) have a resonance at w^2 = 1/LC - (R/L)^2.

And that is not equal to the frequency which we have a series or parallel RLC ...

Hi, Conclusion:

I located the elusive fomula: Q= sqrt( Rhigh/Rlow-1), where R high is the highest value of resistance and R low is the lower value.

When the Q is very low, there can actually be THREE different definitions of resonance (again, illustrated thoroughly in the venerable ARRL Handbook). You can have: 1: zero phase shift
2: Maximum voltage/minimum current
3: XL=XC

For very low Q tank (parallel) circuits, these three conditions do NOT coincide. There is such a thing as LOADED and UNLOADED Q.

Eric

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Can you provide a schematic for how you are using this circuit. I just quickly wrote out an equation for this combination assuming the output voltage is taken across the capacitor.

The transfer function is (1/RC)*(s+R/L)/(s^2+s/(RC)+1/(LC))

this is not quite a pure bandpass unless R/L is much less than 1/sqrt(LC).

Under that condition the 3 dB bandwidth is about 1/(2 pi RC) and the resonant frequency is 1/(2pi*sqrt(LC))

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Can you provide a schematic for how you are using this circuit. I just quickly wrote out an equation for this combination assuming the output voltage is taken across the capacitor.

The transfer function is (1/RC)*(s+R/L)/(s^2+s/(RC)+1/(LC))

this is not quite a pure bandpass unless R/L is much less than 1/sqrt(LC).

Under that condition the 3 dB bandwidth is about 1/(2 pi RC) and the resonant frequency is 1/(2pi*sqrt(LC))

Indeed....you confirmed precisely my caveat about low Q circuits! It's gratifying when you get the same answer approaching from two different directions. :)

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Indeed....you confirmed precisely my caveat about low Q circuits! It's gratifying when you get the same answer approaching from two different directions. :)

You'll also see how much straightforward this problem is if the resistance is simply in series with the other components. In this case, the loaded and unloaded Q are one and the same.

eric