a strange lcd!

new_mido22

Joined Nov 6, 2011
This is an lcd took from an old device(pic is attached)
I cannot find the datasheet of this lcd and I donot even know its number
and it seems a little bit change since it has a lot of pins
I counted the pins and found them nearly 75 or 76
and I cannot find any thing like this on google

and I am grateful for you help :)

Attachments

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Can you post the picture over here?

Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Bertus

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
that type of LCD does not have the driver built in, so you will have to figure out how to drive the columns and rows to get it to work, normally those are "cheap" as they get and the whole controller is built into the "black" blob IC on one of the PCB's that was attached to it.....

new_mido22

Joined Nov 6, 2011
that type of LCD does not have the driver built in, so you will have to figure out how to drive the columns and rows to get it to work, normally those are "cheap" as they get and the whole controller is built into the "black" blob IC on one of the PCB's that was attached to it.....
Allright
All what you 've said is right and I truly found the blob IC attached to this lcd
and of course I wil buy a new one.
Thanks so much.
I am grateful for you help .

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Allright
All what you 've said is right and I truly found the blob IC attached to this lcd
and of course I wil buy a new one.
Thanks so much.
I am grateful for you help .
No problem, anytime.

Where are you located? This may help in recommending places to acquire LCD displays..... and what is your project that requires a display? Maybe I can help in selecting one that would be suitable for use?

new_mido22

Joined Nov 6, 2011
No problem, anytime.

Where are you located? This may help in recommending places to acquire LCD displays..... and what is your project that requires a display? Maybe I can help in selecting one that would be suitable for use?
I would use it in a simple temperature and pressure (sensors) project
and unfortunately I am not living in US.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If you really want to see what it is... there is a way to buzz these things out. Just takes a square wave, a capacitor, two fine probes, and a lot of patients...

Connect the square wave thru the cap to the two probes. Start on pin 1 with one probe, then probe every other pin till you see if do something. Keep going till the end. If you see nothing that's OK.

Then from pin 2 test all the other pins... till you have then all. Note when you get to say pin 10 you do NOT have to retest 1-9, just the new combinations.

Most pairs will show nothing, some pins will be common to many if not all of the segments.

Don't even bother with this unless you already have a plan for a connector to that ribbon, and I sure hope it is single sides ribbon (but may well have different conductors on each side).

Good luck.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Don't even bother with this unless you already have a plan for a connector to that ribbon, and I sure hope it is single sides ribbon (but may well have different conductors on each side).

Good luck.
I do not think he is gonna have any luck soldering or attaching any kind of connector to that "cable" it is just a flat piece of plastic with "printed" conductors on it.....unless he uses some type of clinching connector to pinch the conductors with....

new_mido22

Joined Nov 6, 2011
If you really want to see what it is... there is a way to buzz these things out. Just takes a square wave, a capacitor, two fine probes, and a lot of patients...

Connect the square wave thru the cap to the two probes. Start on pin 1 with one probe, then probe every other pin till you see if do something. Keep going till the end. If you see nothing that's OK.

Then from pin 2 test all the other pins... till you have then all. Note when you get to say pin 10 you do NOT have to retest 1-9, just the new combinations.

Most pairs will show nothing, some pins will be common to many if not all of the segments.

Good luck.
Thanks really for your quote and for this method. I may have tried it if I had a square-wave source.
Any way this LCD will not be used in any handmade projects;)
Thank you all.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Egypt I want to visit that place...
Anyway about your project,use a character mode LCD/Dot matrix LCD they are cheap and will suit your project.

Good Luck