A Split Phase output voltage will come from what type of transformer?

gbtbtbt

Joined Mar 18, 2020
Out of the four choices provided, my assumption is a center-tapped. Can anyone confirm or explain why incorrect?

1.Isolation
2.Center-tapped
3.Harmonic
4. Unbalanced

gbtbtbt

Joined Mar 18, 2020
In my textbook, the split-phase is referred to as output from the center-tapped transformer because two output waveforms are 180 degrees out of phase. Truthfully I do not know what are harmonic, unbalanced and isolation transformers and the differences. I only have been learning solving secondary voltages, turns ratio and solving three-phase power. Can you elaborate on the important distinctions?

gbtbtbt

Joined Mar 18, 2020
My assumption is center-tapped because of harmonics and unbalanced associate three-phase power which automatically crosses them off. So all there is left to ask is what is an isolation transformer?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Isolation, is just that, it isolates the secondary winding's and output from the primary power supply input supply.
'Galvanic isolation'::
In power equipment This refers to the fact that the output power circuit is electrically and physically isolated from the input power circuit.
Electrical isolation is accomplished using an isolation transformer.
Physical isolation means that the output power wiring does not touch or connect to the input wiring.
Max.

Last edited:

gbtbtbt

Joined Mar 18, 2020
Thank you for the thorough explanation of an isolation transformer, it will help a lot in preparing for my final exam. As well thank everyone for helping me solve this problem, I truly appreciate it.