A service to buy/sell custom hacks/electronics?

MrOat

Joined Jun 28, 2012
Hi everyone,

Before I say what I wanted to say: I've been lurking these forums for some time now. I've never been an active member, and mostly searched other threads for advice and answers to my questions. I've got a bit of experience with electronics, I'm a nice guy, yadda yadda yadda.

Now, on to my actuall question. I find it more than a little curious that so many people - including me, if I may say so - build cool, actually practical toys, yet I virtually never hear of people selling these (or blueprints/instructions on how to make them, etc.) to others. Thus, the idea of creating a 'hacker* creations market' (or something like that. It's not as if I've got it all worked out) popped into my head: a place where people can buy (maybe request) and sell hacks, creations and blueprints.

The problems I see with such a market are these:
- Custom solutions are more expensive than products made by people at an assembly line. Thus, hackers would need to demand quite a bit of money for a single solution, which buyers may not be willing to pay.
- Hacking is a hobby. People don't want to try to make money with their hobbies.
- Quality assurance would be difficult.

I think the first problem is avoidable/solvable, and the second problem is only a general sentiment few people actually care about (if you can make money with your hobby, I suspect most - not all - would take it). But, hey, I've been known to be wrong from time to time. I don't know how to solve the third problem, but at first thought I think a 'rating' system and a strict set of rules of what you can expect from the creator/buyer would be best.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Do you think it's possible? Would you or hackers you know like and use such a service?

* I use the word 'hack' and 'hacker' loosely to mean someone who builds interesting things. Things a la hackaday - not breaking into computers.